Residency Hours Worked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenlocus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a general idea of what to expect in regards to how many hours per week worked in an average psychiatry residency program.

From reading some of the other specialties, 65 to 70+ hours in some residencies is not too uncommon. Are things toned down some in Psych?

Members don't see this ad.

I work an average of 60 hours a week as an intern. One week will be 45 hours, the next 75, and so on.
From what my friends elsewhere say this is about average, some more, some a bit less.

I am trying to get a general idea of what to expect in regards to how many hours per week worked in an average psychiatry residency program.

From reading some of the other specialties, 65 to 70+ hours in some residencies is not too uncommon. Are things toned down some in Psych?

Depends if you are doing your medicine/neurology half or your psychiatry half, and different psych programs have you do varying amounts of med/neuro. During my intern medicine months, I worked about 75-90 hours a week, 90 just on really bad weeks. Psych is easier, more like 60-70.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
During inpatient months on psych the interns and 2nd years at my school work from around 7 or 8 am to 4:30 in the afternoon on the weekdays, assuming they don't get a late admission. We have a lot of patients but the day seems pretty relaxed compared to most other specialties. We have a short call/night float system during the week (call goes till 8 pm) and Friday/Saturday night calls are 24 hours with weekends off if you aren't on call. Overall very humane, imo. Everyone seems fairly happy and relaxed, with a good mix of a challenging patient load but not being completely overwhelmed.

we push 80 at our program. Internal med and peds are even worse.