Residency hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello -

Do residency hours get better as you progress through OB residency...or stay about the same all four years?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In our program they stay fairly comparable throughout; at least as far as I can tell. It is very rotation dependent. Of course there are the changes that come with being able to work 24 hours versus 16 after intern year and I've heard from some that actually improves things but I'm assuming this is a matter of personal preference/opinion.

Hello -

Do residency hours get better as you progress through OB residency...or stay about the same all four years?

Thanks in advance.

This is probably program dependent. Where I went to residency, 3rd year had the easiest hours because we were rotating through all the subspecialties. 4th year was harder in terms of hours than 3rd year plus the added responsibility. A lot of this is in flux due to constantly changing work hour restrictions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely program dependent. We were fairly even throughout with the exception of the new intern work hours; that being said we never did more than 12 hours on shift - no more 24 hour call!

In my program the hours get worse the higher you go. We interns only work 12 - 16 hour days (may be a little less, depending on the rotation). The PGY2s take 24 hour calls every 3 - 4 days. And it's not unusual for the 3rd and 4th years to work 12-13 days straight before they get 1 or 2 off day(s).

In my program the hours get worse the higher you go. We interns only work 12 - 16 hour days (may be a little less, depending on the rotation). The PGY2s take 24 hour calls every 3 - 4 days. And it's not unusual for the 3rd and 4th years to work 12-13 days straight before they get 1 or 2 off day(s).

Well that sounds crummy. Any other input? I honestly just want to workout 3-4x a week and have a residency with good people / good fellowship opportunities. Is this possible?

Well that sounds crummy. Any other input? I honestly just want to workout 3-4x a week and have a residency with good people / good fellowship opportunities. Is this possible?

Depends on the program. Some places will work you harder than others with the caveat being your fellowship opportunities are much better.

Even at a workhorse program, you can find time to work out 3 times a week if you really want to. As far as fellowship opportunities, there is a fair amount of effort on your end that you will have to expend to make that happen regardless of where you go.