Residency Interview Attire Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's just social convention. The reasons "why" it is less formal make little sense sure. They are mostly just that the button down was, once upon a time, "new" and not traditional.

But it is an established social convention that button down = less formal, just as a sport coat is less formal than a suit.

So the same way I recommend avoiding a bow tie so that some random interviewer doesn't think you look like a douche, I recommend avoiding a button down so that some random interviewer doesn't think you look underdressed.
Except to me a sport coat looks obviously much less formal than a suit. It makes sense. I realize though the applicant will have to bow to people's perceptions of what is formal whether logical or not. Or just break the buttons off his collars.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but this isn't the difference between walking in looking like that picture you attached vs. wearing a suit. It's the difference between buying a suit at Armani or Dolce & Gabbana vs. buying a suit at JCPenney (or god forbid a Men's Wearhouse - as if suits can't be altered). I think that is what KirbyMeister is getting at.
But I think that's where you and @kirbymiester was failing to understand our point: if your budget only allows JCP or MW, then by all means those are fine and that the minutiae doesn't matter to 99% of applicants (or faculty). I would argue that the average J Crew/BB/BR employee is more fashion savvy than those at JAB or MW.

I am in no way recommending that someone go broke purchasing a suit. However, buying a suit off the rack and then not tailoring (when needed) it is a mistake and to assume that employees at MW are stylists is also a mistake. As a matter of fact, I believe @southernIM has mentioned several times that a good fit is more important than the price of your suit and I would agree.

Except to me a sport coat looks obviously much less formal than a suit. It makes sense. I realize though the applicant will have to bow to people's perceptions of what is formal whether logical or not. Or just break the buttons off his collars.

LOL…yeah, that would work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So @Winged Scapula called me out on this thread and I'll chip in a bit because I really like classic menswear and some of the history behind it.

The button down collar comes from polo, yes, the sport played on horses. When players would play in the wind or the horses would sprint, the collars would flap in the wind. The button down collar stopped this from happening, which is why it was known as a sports shirt. I think they look great in fits with sport coats, but they're not formal enough for suits. I think they can look good in that setting, but semi spread collars always look better all else equal.

A lot of this stuff is antiquated, but still holds true. There's a lot of other minutia like not mixing certain textures, which buttons are suit vs sport coat buttons, etc. This all comes from the old english division of country and city clothes: a gentleman had both. The fabrics, demands, and cuts were very different. You have to remember that men used to go hunting in three piece suits back in the day. It sounds ridiculous now, but that's the evolution of all this stuff.

As for me, I'm still pretty low on the food chain (whaddup clinical research coordinators!), but I look for deals and end up buying a bunch of stuff second hand.

I thrifted this thing today and found 2 others like it earlier in the week (brown and navy). They each cost 26 bucks after alterations, since only the sleeves needed to be lengthened. I'm going to wear it with jeans and a ridiculous shirt. I'm psyched.

I also sell a bunch of the crap I find from time to time to make dollaz for clothes. It's a relatively large time-sink and I've slacked due to MD apps, but it's pretty good stress relief most of the time.

In any event, the jacket in question:

LL

Last edited:
First things first:

Yes, that's my mannequin. I own one.

Then, onto this:
I think what turns applicants is off is that medicine which cloaks itself in being above money - values things that are about...wait for it...money. It's unadulterated materialism.

Wouldn't you say that's true of young millenials who fail to see that dressing nicely has some value? IMHO its not materialistic to present a clean, polished and professional image.

No one needs to be wearing a Patek watch or Zegna suit to a medical school interview; if you can afford it great but its perfectly acceptable to wear something from JCP if it fits well and flatters you.

View attachment 185664

Fit trumps everything. The nicer stuff is honestly so much better and you'll be able to tell once you handle it. The difference in hand feel between loro piana cashmere in a sport coat and whatever BAR III macys stuff is insane. I went to barneys once and felt some cucinnelli stuff which legit blew my mind. There's an insane amount of handiwork on those things and the attention to detail is incredible. Same goes for loro piana, kiton, etc etc etc.

But the point is that you can stay within your budget and buy stuff that goes together better and you'll be fine. Brooks brothers is damn good stuff and there are many things in levels below that which are great. I think Charles Tyrwitt suits go on sale for 350 or so pretty often and they look incredible from fits I've seen. And if you're not opposed to buying used, know what to look for, and know your size, then there are plenty of awesome things on ebay you can buy for cheap.

Fit trumps everything. The nicer stuff is honestly so much better and you'll be able to tell once you handle it. The difference in hand feel between loro piana cashmere in a sport coat and whatever BAR III macys stuff is insane. I went to barneys once and felt some cucinnelli stuff which legit blew my mind. There's an insane amount of handiwork on those things and the attention to detail is incredible. Same goes for loro piana, kiton, etc etc etc.

But the point is that you can stay within your budget and buy stuff that goes together better and you'll be fine. Brooks brothers is damn good stuff and there are many things in levels below that which are great. I think Charles Tyrwitt suits go on sale for 350 or so pretty often and they look incredible from fits I've seen. And if you're not opposed to buying used, know what to look for, and know your size, then there are plenty of awesome things on ebay you can buy for cheap.

Much of the advice for men goes for women as well, although the latter have more leeway in terms of color.

SUITS
- wear one
- trousers are fine; skirt suits are more traditional and may be seen more in conservative fields (e.g., surgery); a dress with matching jacket is fine
- the suit must MATCH: fabric, style and color. This is not the occasion for those Tahari and Kasper suits you see at Macys with hot pink jackets and black shirts.
- skirt length at the knee or slightly below *when sitting*; shorter is interpreted as slutty, longer as dowdy
- when you bend over I should not see your thong, your blouse stays tucked in
- tropical weight wool, wool gabardine; no cotton sateen, linen, lycra, knits
- no "fashion" styles: short sleeves, peplums, cuffs, "cigarette" legs, ankle length, pleats
- navy, charcoal are best; brown is considered casual. Black? Despite internet pundit "wisdom", its not considered appropriate for interviews. If that's what you've got and you're on a budget and can't afford another, then so be it - you will be one of the dozens of others who are wearing a black suit.

BLOUSES
- the soft pink and cream sound fine, but boring. If those are your best colors, then definitely wear them but many people look better with a little more bold color. This is where you can deviate from the boys.
- I tend to avoid the button front blouse as I think they are not flattering on most and are too milquetoast; they are fine for working at The Gap or Mortons
- I wish it went without saying but no cleavage on view, no visible bra straps, no tank tops, no sheer; keep your jacket on if sleeveless

SHOES
- flats and certainly Danskos are not professional despite what a thousand med students and residents think they're doing during clinic ;)
- unfortunately, heels are considered appropriate for women for interview
- the shoes in the link you provided are…<ahem> unfortunate
- clearly, if you are physically unable to wear heels you do not want to appear disabled by wearing them; you'll need to find some lower heeled comfortable shoes. Cole Haan makes some Nike Air Soles that are comfortable; you've some time to work on that element.
- color: cordovan if wearing navy, otherwise black. Should be darker than your suit.

JEWELRY
- one piercing per ear, lobes only
- its ok to stray from the "pearl stud" stereotype
- dangly earrings are to be avoided except the smallest ones
- same stuff about watches for men applies here

MISC
- pantyhose are expected; nude are best, very sheer black during the winter are acceptable
- don't bring a portfolio and a purse; one or the other
- if you bring a purse it should not look like a beach tote: it must be leather or a good facsimile of, and not so large that I wonder WTF you've got in there and why you need to cart so much stuff with you
- it should match your shoes
I have a black skirt suit and I'm on a tight budget so that's the one I'll be wearing. But I feel like black suit, black purse, black shoes is too much black. Would a colored bag be alright? Nothing too bright of course.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully you're not wearing a black shirt/blouse underneath the jacket.

Reactions: 1 users
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is fitting the tie knot to the collar. If your tie is thin material and you tie a four in hand, it's going to look tiny in a spread collar. If your tie is thick and you tie a full windsor, it's probably going to be the size of your fist and not even fit in a button down. In general, I think full windsor for spread, half windsor for straight, four in hand for button down is a good general guideline, but it's ultimately going to depend on the thickness of the material of the tie and just how spread the collar is

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Ismet, I was going to wear my med school interview suit, as I'm the same weight as I was then. It's black with very thin pinstripes. I didn't want black originially but it's the one that fit me best. I am a big fan of adding color with the blouse so I had a fuchsia shell to go with it that looked good. I am not crazy about how the jacket fits me at the shoulders, though, and I wanted a grey suit originally so this might be a chance for me to go shopping again. I still have a handful of teal and fuchsia blouses to go under it.

Just say no to mens warehouse.

Their stuff is crap and their sales staff is clueless.

If you're clueless about fashion, odds are you'll walk out of there with an ugly boxy suit that is two sizes too big.

Yeah I f'ing hate men's warehouse. The last time I was there was for a tux rental and (while they served their purpose for the tux rental) the employees were all ridiculously incomptent and looked like they were high. Hell, the dude that helped me had this ratty ass suit on that made him look homeless. Protip for formalwear workers: If you want people to have confidence in what you're selling you need to wear it well yourself. I mean, even I can feel how cheap their suits feel and I'm not suit expert by any stretch of the imagination. Plus their **** was just sloppy...suits with threads coming out, buttons loose, etc.

I was in a giant wedding recently that used MW for their rentals - only 2 of 12 groomsmen/ushers had tuxes that even remotely fit.

For my tux I had to argue with the sales rep when she took my measurements and tried to put me in a jacket 2 sizes too big, pants 2 inches too long, and a neck collar width that could have accommodated the Hulk's neck.

God I hate MW. Had a similar experience getting fitted for a tux for a wedding I was in a couple years ago. They were very difficult to convince that MC Hammer was not, in fact, the current trendsetter in formal attire.

Reactions: 2 users
But I think that's where you and @kirbymiester was failing to understand our point: if your budget only allows JCP or MW, then by all means those are fine and that the minutiae doesn't matter to 99% of applicants (or faculty). I would argue that the average J Crew/BB/BR employee is more fashion savvy than those at JAB or MW.

I am in no way recommending that someone go broke purchasing a suit. However, buying a suit off the rack and then not tailoring (when needed) it is a mistake and to assume that employees at MW are stylists is also a mistake. As a matter of fact, I believe @southernIM has mentioned several times that a good fit is more important than the price of your suit and I would agree.

J crew? The people that work at J crew are like 20 yr old college kids who are as clueless as the people buying the stuff from them, it just so happens they work at a store that makes decent clothes.

What places would you go to shop for suits/shirts? Rather than online. I'm not into the online shopping thing if I cannot hold the suit and try it on. How do you guys buy suits without trying em on lol

J crew? The people that work at J crew are like 20 yr old college kids who are as clueless as the people buying the stuff from them, it just so happens they work at a store that makes decent clothes.

Exactly. And they still know more than MW.

Exactly. And they still know more than MW.

gonna disagree on that one but it's whatever.

pro tip for J crew: they have a discount for college students if you show them student ID so anyone that's a medical student I'd assume would be fine too for that. I think it's like 10 or 15 %

They may be young but most of them took a job at J.Crew because they're into fashion. I would not say the same of an employee at men's warehouse.

NB: I was posting at the same time as @southernIM ; yes, that's exactly my point: J Crew employees are a self-selected group. I have seen the same in my friends when we were younger; those who were into fashion tended to work at Patrick James (a favorite for the Sigma Chis), J Crew or small local boutiques and those men are still stylish because they were interested and learned a great deal.

What places would you go to shop for suits/shirts? Rather than online. I'm not into the online shopping thing if I cannot hold the suit and try it on. How do you guys buy suits without trying em on lol
Why not go to a Macy's or Dillard's?

what about hair? i have fairly long hair and i'm not sure about down or up or something in between? and if up is something like a 'sock bun' ok?

what about hair? i have fairly long hair and i'm not sure about down or up or something in between? and if up is something like a 'sock bun' ok?
Can't tell if you're serious or not. But no, no sock bun. This isn't an ER shift.

As @southernIM notes, you go with brands and fits that you're familiar with.

I also like ordering on-line (although it can be dangerous for me) as I can try things on with all the accessories that I would wear it with, coordinate with already purchased items and not be hassled by, "are you doing ok, can I bring you another size/color etc?" sales personnel. It ask helps to read the reviews online from other shoppers; many will tell you if the particular size is "TTS" (true to size). This is probably more of an issue with women's clothes, but like southernIM, I've found J Crew changes their sizing in pants a fair bit so those are trickier for me to purchase on-line (fortunately, I literally can walk to a J Crew).

But you need to be able to return things; I live in a large city which has stores of any of the online places I would shop so if shipping return isn't free I might just drive to the store. As noted, most places have free shipping when you spend over a certain amount and some also provide free returns.

When purchasing online pay attention to fabric (they will tell you what its made of), sizing information, shipping and returns and read reviews.

If you don't want to go online for your suits, then as @DermViser notes, try larger department stores: Macys, Dillards, Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, etc. However, I would still suggest that most towns, even smaller ones, have small locally owned boutiques where you can find some find quality suiting and fashion advice.

I mean I am serious. I guess I was thinking for hair up a bun looked better than a pony tail

Are you male or female?

Either way, wear your hair off your face and whatever is most flattering. A pony tail is not necessarily inappropriate as long as its not wrapped with a scrunchy.
Any male with a ponytail should be an automatic no rank.

Reactions: 7 users
Do not go broke buying suits for residency interviews. We do not care where your suit came from as long as it is clean and not wrinkled. Look professional.

For women wearing heals, be aware you will be doing a tour of the hospital and clinic. Residents tend to walk very fast and may take the stairs. Be sure you can keep up. Pant suits are ok as well. The only person that I have interviewed over the last 3 years that I can remember was dressed in khaki pants and a sweater, which I did not think was appropriate for residency interviewing. I bought a suit from Eddie Bauer that was machine washable. Easily could change the color of shirt underneath to change things up. It was gray.

Men make sure your suit and shirt are ironed. Most hotels have irons in the rooms now. The color is going to depend on what you are applying to. We had a guy wear a bright orange shirt with a bow tie under his suit because we were TN and he was applying from VA. He was at the top of our list, not for is attire but it didn't hurt either. If a program is going to be judging you on whether or not your suit is from xyz or you wore a light pink shirt, do you really want to match there?

Are you male or female?

Either way, wear your hair off your face and whatever is most flattering. A pony tail is not necessarily inappropriate as long as its not wrapped with a scrunchy.

Ok sounds good! I'm a girl with long brown hair and sometimes there are days I just can't stand to have my hair down. Especially if it's an interview in a hot location .

How long is long?

There was one girl on the interview trail my year who wore her hair down and it came literally past her waist. She was referred to as "the hair girl" by people who had met her once or twice and couldn't remember her name

Dare I say it...why not get a haircut if your hair is so long it is of concern to you how to style/manage it?

Oh wow my hair is not to my waist but definitely past my shoulders

There was one girl on the interview trail my year who wore her hair down and it came literally past her waist. She was referred to as "the hair girl" by people who had met her once or twice and couldn't remember her name
:wow:

Like Ismet, I was going to wear my med school interview suit, as I'm the same weight as I was then. It's black with very thin pinstripes. I didn't want black originially but it's the one that fit me best. I am a big fan of adding color with the blouse so I had a fuchsia shell to go with it that looked good. I am not crazy about how the jacket fits me at the shoulders, though, and I wanted a grey suit originally so this might be a chance for me to go shopping again. I still have a handful of teal and fuchsia blouses to go under it.
Tailoring shoulders is tricky but can be done; have you considered having the suit tailored to your liking?

We had a guy wear a bright orange shirt with a bow tie under his suit because we were TN and he was applying from VA. He was at the top of our list, not for is attire but it didn't hurt either. If a program is going to be judging you on whether or not your suit is from xyz or you wore a light pink shirt, do you really want to match there?
Is this like a Southern thing or something? Whatever it is, it's annoying.

Any advice on what to wear for someone who will be very pregnant for interview season? I'd hoped to avoid buying a new suit at a maternity store, which seems like a huge waste of money. Can I get by with buying a black "maternity jacket" (as formal as one can be without buttons) to go with black dress pants I already own? Or should I bite the bullet and shell out for a suit I'll never wear again?

:laugh:

Yes, I loved the longer hair on my ex-fiance, and encouraged him to grow it, but we/he cut it for his fellowship interviews (despite the fact that the PD at his fellowship rocks a ponytail LOL).
Was he going for EM? They're usually the type to have tattoos as well.

Sucks that I can't just wear a sport coat.... and still get a residency, LOL!

I hate dressing up and wasting money on clothes.

The ability to wear pajamas at work is a distinct feature that puts surgery above other fields.

Bowties in medicine tend to be relegated to the South, and also Neurologists.
Ah yes!!! Neurologists! Those were the ones also with bowties. I didn't know if they were just trying to be cute and purposefully standout by wearing them or what.

Sucks that I can't just wear a sport coat.... and still get a residency, LOL!

I hate dressing up and wasting money on clothes.

The ability to wear pajamas at work is a distinct feature that puts surgery above other fields.
Surgeons do not wear "pajamas" in the office when seeing patients. If anything, they tend to dress better than other specialties.

If you want to wear pajamas all day, consider anesthesia or EM.

Reactions: 4 users

In all likelihood, you'll be dressing up in a suit (or at least shirt and tie) in surgery clinic.

You should just go into emergency medicine. Then you can wear the ER mullet every day

Surgeons do not wear "pajamas" in the office when seeing patients. If anything, they tend to dress better than other specialties.

If you want to wear pajamas all day, consider anesthesia or EM.
Exactly. I think every med student that starts their surgery clerkship is shocked to learn that they are required to dress up for Surgery clinics and that wearing scrubs while seeing clinic patients is a major no-no (at least in an academic medical center). Only place you can get away with scrubs all the time is EM.

Men, please do not do this. I've definitely seen it and it stands out negatively. Looking too laid back or bro-y is not a good thing, even for ortho. (My opinion, obv.)
shaggy cut.jpg

Any advice on what to wear for someone who will be very pregnant for interview season? I'd hoped to avoid buying a new suit at a maternity store, which seems like a huge waste of money. Can I get by with buying a black "maternity jacket" (as formal as one can be without buttons) to go with black dress pants I already own? Or should I bite the bullet and shell out for a suit I'll never wear again?
That's a tough one. I haven't any personal advice (and honestly cannot recall seeing a surgical candidate pregnant during interview season) but you might consider a dress which could be worn afterwards if a wrap or empire waist with jacket rather than a trouser suit.

@Geekchick921 - do you have any advice on this?

Peds man, peds.

Bowtie + the gross peds beard.

They think they look like this:

ryan_gosling_blonde_beard_blue.jpg

They actually look like this:

stock-photo-girl-in-blue-shirt-getting-check-up-at-pediatric-clinic-with-friendly-bearded-young-doctor-white-101943904.jpg

iDSC_5803.jpg
The third one definitely looks like a neurologist. I guess the Pediatricians w/bowties you met were from the South? The ones I know wore long ties with cartoon characters to appeal to children.