Residency Interview Attire Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a white shirt alternative, how about something like this? (there are small ruffles)

cn11992528.jpg

Or something with small stripes like this:
cn11976957.jpg
Button-front shirts work on men because their chests are relatively flat and the tie pulls the collar into a regular shape. On women, they suffer from "gaposis" (I saw a lot of medial bra today) and a rumpled irregular collar. A shell is far preferable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What about black tights on women instead of pantyhose? As a petite woman, my go-to outfit for conferences has been a black sheath dress, black suit jacket, black tights and black heels. This ensemble lengthens me. I thought it was professional until I learned that it associated me with funerals. With the hullaballoo about avoiding black at interviews, I've opted for a navy dress and navy jacket. Would black tights and black heels with this be appropriate?

Personally, I always found clear pantyhouse a bit matronly. I feel if you want to cover your legs, you might as well go opaque. Thoughts?

I think the outfit would look better with sheer pantyhose, but that's probably a personal preference. I think black hose and black shoes would go well with a navy suit. I do agree that black suit + black opaque tights + black shoes is very.... black. It might lengthen you, but you are a solid mass of black, which could be considered somber.

Last edited:
Quick question about shoes.
Somebody mentioned only heels were appropriate?/stay away from flats?
Are we talking like a short chunky heel?
Or are low wedges okay?

Rounded or pointed?

Heels definitely look more professional in my opinion, but if you're not someone who is comfortable wearing heels, a professional pair of flats would be appropriate.

To tack on a shoe question.... are there any heels besides classic black pumps (for a charcoal suit) that would be appropriate? Are these too "out there"?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about black tights on women instead of pantyhose? As a petite woman, my go-to outfit for conferences has been a black sheath dress, black suit jacket, black tights and black heels. This ensemble lengthens me. I thought it was professional until I learned that it associated me with funerals. With the hullaballoo about avoiding black at interviews, I've opted for a navy dress and navy jacket. Would black tights and black heels with this be appropriate?

Personally, I always found clear pantyhouse a bit matronly. I feel if you want to cover your legs, you might as well go opaque. Thoughts?

Opaque tights are too casual. They are for ballerinas, figure skaters and when wearing a skirt with boots in the winter to a casual event.

Besides,while you may think they look matronly, those interviewing you won't.

With a blue suit, I'd recommend sheer skin tone hose and either dark grey, black or preferably cordovan shoes.

Heels definitely look more professional in my opinion, but if you're not someone who is comfortable wearing heels, a professional pair of flats would be appropriate.

To tack on a shoe question.... are there any heels besides classic black pumps (for a charcoal suit) that would be appropriate? Are these too "out there"?

They're not too "out there"; they're just too matronly (yes, we can recognize it and wearing pantyhose [see my post above] is not it. These shoes are.)

You can wear a chunkier heel, but the suede, toe design and rounded toes all add up to either casual or matronly or both. None of which are good.

They're not too "out there"; they're just too matronly (yes, we can recognize it and wearing pantyhose [see my post above] is not it. These shoes are.)

You can wear a chunkier heel, but the suede, toe design and rounded toes all add up to either casual or matronly or both. None of which are good.

Thanks for your response! Is the only option a pointed toe then? How about these: http://www.zappos.com/naturalizer-michelle

Those aren't "pointed"; those are considered almond toe and are preferable to the rounded ones you showed or extremely pointy.
Yes, almond! I knew it had a name but i couldnt think of it. Thank you for all your help, i really appreciate it :)

From an interviewer:

1. Ann Taylor, or similar; wool-blend navy or medium gray jacket and skirt, over white shirt, sheer hose (no black, hello!!)

2. No cleavage

3. Leather dress shoes; narrow-round closed toe, two-inch heel, moderately expensive; black, dark gray, or dark cordovan

4. Dress watch, simple gold ear-rings of smaller size (we laugh at three-inch hoops); one gold chain necklace, no religious pendent

5. Make-up: no pancake faces, modesty prevails (we don't want pole dancers); neutral dull-pinkish color of lipstick, not shiny

6. Fingernails: get rid of them-- the arguments that I've had with 26 year-olds demanding to keep their fingernails (Good grief!!), clear polish

7. Hair: yes, professionally cut. NOTE: if short hair makes you look like a teenage boy (yech!), grow it longer.

8. Just a hint of perfume (choice test: try different ones until a male stranger walking by you stops, turns, and says, "Wow, what's that perfume?"

9. No chewing gum; your breath doesn't have to "smell good", just not smell bad

10. Confidence; you know that you look good, let's get on with it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Didn't see a recent interview attire thread for this season so we will see if reviving this thread works! I have two questions. 1 - I normally wear a black garmin forerunner watch. Would this be inappropriate to wear to interviews and would a more formal "dress watch" be recommended instead? 2 - for women that wear shells under suits, is it inappropriate to take your suit coat off while eating? From what I could find it seems like the most professional would be to just keep the suit jacket on, but I just wanted to double check. Thank you!

Didn't see a recent interview attire thread for this season so we will see if reviving this thread works! I have two questions. 1 - I normally wear a black garmin forerunner watch. Would this be inappropriate to wear to interviews and would a more formal "dress watch" be recommended instead? 2 - for women that wear shells under suits, is it inappropriate to take your suit coat off while eating? From what I could find it seems like the most professional would be to just keep the suit jacket on, but I just wanted to double check. Thank you!
1 - Last year I saw plenty of people wearing smartwatches with suits. I bought a cheap but nice-enough looking plain silver watch because I felt it was dressier, but don't think it makes a huge difference one way or another.
2 - the rule I was raised by was that bare shoulders = no go. If you've got sleeves, it's fine; if not, not. I think that may be outdated by now, but that's what I went with on interviews.