Women Interview Attire - Bags!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SummertimeHappiness

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! I have been struggling so hard to find the perfect interview bag. During my med school interviews, I carried around a heavy leather Tumi bag that became really cumbersome during the tour portion of the interview (especially if it was hot outside, bleh). I vowed not to do this for my residency interviews.

My suggestion: Hedgren bags
- they're pretty affordable, and you get 20% off if you enter your email on their website
- free shipping on $75, 3-7 business days
- a lot of their bags weigh 1-2 lbs!
- super easy to find a size that will fit a standard 8 x 11.5" obligatory residency info folder we get on interviews, so need to awkwardly fold in half in some other bag.

I purchased the "Zircon RFID Medium 14" Tote, which is basically as light as air. It's not super fashionable like Kate Spade and whatnot, but it'll do the trick.

I hope this helps someone! 🙂
 
Hello all! I have been struggling so hard to find the perfect interview bag. During my med school interviews, I carried around a heavy leather Tumi bag that became really cumbersome during the tour portion of the interview (especially if it was hot outside, bleh). I vowed not to do this for my residency interviews.

My suggestion: Hedgren bags
- they're pretty affordable, and you get 20% off if you enter your email on their website
- free shipping on $75, 3-7 business days
- a lot of their bags weigh 1-2 lbs!
- super easy to find a size that will fit a standard 8 x 11.5" obligatory residency info folder we get on interviews, so need to awkwardly fold in half in some other bag.

I purchased the "Zircon RFID Medium 14" Tote, which is basically as light as air. It's not super fashionable like Kate Spade and whatnot, but it'll do the trick.

I hope this helps someone! 🙂

Guys don't need a bag. Why do you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly recommend the men in this thread try wearing womens pants for a day. Or read this fun analysis of pocket sizes

Every time I've worn mens/unisex pants for any reason, it's just mind boggling how much STUFF I can fit in my pockets! comfortably! I would care far less about finding the right bag if my clothing just came equipped with the right pockets.
 
Guys don't need a bag. Why do you?

I prefer to put my necessities like my keys, wallet, and phone into a bag as opposed to squishing them into my tiny pant suit pockets and risk them falling out and looking frumpy. Also, it's not uncommon to see men with a file folder for interviews; it's not a purse by any means but still an accessory.
 
For starters, have you ever seen women's dress pants? Where do you think a phone/wallet/chapstick/car keys would go?
This is why I pared my wallet down to minimalist size (2-3 cards and optional single folded bill). I leave all keys in my car except the car key itself, which I literally whittled down with my pocket knife to the slimmest size I could manage. I don't carry the remote because it's usually bulky and I can't stand that.

My wallet and single key fit fine in most dress pant pockets, even the ridiculous ones on women's suits. And if I find myself completely pocket-less, they're low-profile enough that I can actually reliably stuff them in my sock without issue.

I don't bring a cell phone on interviews.
 
I highly recommend the men in this thread try wearing womens pants for a day. Or read this fun analysis of pocket sizes

Every time I've worn mens/unisex pants for any reason, it's just mind boggling how much STUFF I can fit in my pockets! comfortably! I would care far less about finding the right bag if my clothing just came equipped with the right pockets.

God bless the people who made that webpage. Thanks for sharing!
 
I use a black Longchamp bag. I already had it and it fits a folder well. I keep snacks/mints, a water bottle, wallet, phone, and a small notebook to take notes.