Residency Interview Invites- timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hakuna Matata

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone clear up the timeline for residency interviews for me a bit?
AOA apps can start being downloaded by programs on July 15 and ACGME apps can start being downloaded by programs on September 15, I believe. So when do interview invites generally start going out for each? For the AOA programs is it typically much sooner since the application season starts sooner? Is the interview season generally the same timeframe for both?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's really all over the place and specialty dependent. In general for both aoa and acgme programs the bulk of interviewing takes place between mid to late Oct until mid to late Jan.

Reactions: 1 users
Invites start getting offered from like a week after July 15th (AOA) until as late as early Jan, but this is highly program specific. Each specialty is a little different, as mentioned above. I've never heard of interviews actually happening before mid/late-August (AOA) or after Jan. AOA programs might end a bit early given when ROLs are due for the AOA match. Generally across all specialties and for both types of programs most interviews will occur Oct. through Dec.