Residency Interview Timing Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaAlum

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the conventional wisdom holds that you want to interview at your lower ranked programs first and you're top choices later in the interview season since you will presumably get progressively better at it. So, assuming I start to get interview invitations in September should I start scheduling interviews in October and string them out over the next few months? Do you guys feel that I should interview at my top choices in December or January? Is November too early and is January too late?? I know that this isn't an exact science but I was just curious as to what everyone's general strategy is (or was).

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go to your top program(s) towards the second half, but not necessarily at the end, since you'll be pooped and broke. That way you can compare them to all the ones you've gone to before, you'll be more experienced, and they'll remember you better. But save time at the end of the interview cycle in case you want to go back for a second look. I think November would be too early for a top program, and the first half of January wouldn't be too late. But keep in mind that some programs start submitting their lists well before the deadline and may not even offer interviews towards the end.

There is a strange phenomenon in that the last program you visit is the one you want to go to. I don't know if it's because you can envision yourself there the best, having just gone, or what.

It's STORMJEN!!!! :clap: :hardy:

I would add that one really should not sit on an interview invitation too long - the Mondays and the Fridays get snapped up pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really didn't schedule any interviews until December and January. I scheduled my important interviews in the first week and a half of January - late, but not too late. I still had other intervews scheduled for the mid-end of January, which I largely cancelled, because I was tired and broke. It worked fine for me. Definitely, however you time it, save the important ones for the end of your cycle. And schedule early - I scheduled my January interviews in early October.

I have a dumb question. Dean's letters go out mid-September, right? (At least they do at my school). So I assume that's when the rest of the stuff (PS, LORs) should be into ERAS. Do programs have that quick of a turnaround that they contact you within a few weeks (i.e., early October) for interview invites?

beary said:
Do programs have that quick of a turnaround that they contact you within a few weeks (i.e., early October) for interview invites?
Ha! It's time to get out that old interview invite thread!

I think some programs don't wait for everything to be in. Where I am was my first interview invite - if I remember correctly the call came in September and they said they started interviewing in October.

beary said:
I have a dumb question. Dean's letters go out mid-September, right? (At least they do at my school). So I assume that's when the rest of the stuff (PS, LORs) should be into ERAS. Do programs have that quick of a turnaround that they contact you within a few weeks (i.e., early October) for interview invites?

I had the exact same question..... :)

Also, what is the latest by which i need to turn in the application?

quant said:
Also, what is the latest by which i need to turn in the application?

Yeah, this is important info for you and me who are bringing up the rear of the pack!! :laugh:

Did you start working on your PS yet? I haven't. :oops:

It is funny - during med school applications I had everything in practically the first day we could. Now I am way at the opposite end of the spectrum.

The timeline:

Late June 2005: ERAS 2006 Applicant Manuals will be available for PDF download by chapters or in its entirety on our Web site.
Late June 2005: Schools may begin to generate and distribute MyERAS tokens to applicants.
July 1, 2005: MyERAS Web site opens to applicants to begin working on their applications.
July 15, 2005: Osteopathic applicants may begin selecting and applying to Osteopathic Internship programs ONLY.
Osteopathic Internship programs can begin contacting the ERAS PostOffice to download application files.
September 1, 2005: Applicants applying to ACGME accredited programs may begin applying to programs.
September 1, 2005: Programs may begin contacting the ERAS PostOffice to download application files.
November 1, 2005: Dean's Letters are released.
December 2005: Military Match
January 2006: Urology Match
Late January 2006: Osteopathic Match
March 2006: NRMP Match results will be available.
May 31, 2006: ERAS PostOffice will close to prepare for the 2007 season.

beary said:
Yeah, this is important info for you and me who are bringing up the rear of the pack!! :laugh:

Did you start working on your PS yet? I haven't. :oops:

It is funny - during med school applications I had everything in practically the first day we could. Now I am way at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Nope........nope....nopeeee...........(Do i sound happy? I ought to kick myself from here to timbuktu...)

In fact i chickened out and postponed my step 2 CS..... :oops: :oops:

It cost me 150 $.......sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Does a PhD do this to you?.... :)

I swear ill put down the first few lines of the PS before the end of this week....

I love how the two of you are doing your bestest to ignore my attempts to be helpful! :laugh: but what can I say, I remember feeling like I'd reached the end of my tether too.

deschutes said:
The timeline:

September 1, 2005: Programs *MAY* begin contacting the ERAS PostOffice to download application files.

But when do they really?......that s what is bugging me....

Cause i want to send in an application which is as complete as it can be......And with me having postponed my step 2 cs, i can t do that before sept 15 th.....Is that ok?

deschutes - thanks very much for all your helpful advice!! :laugh:

I will get going soon. Really. I will. Seriously. I mean it.

deschutes said:
I love how the two of you are doing your bestest to ignore my attempts to be helpful! :laugh: but what can I say, I remember feeling like I'd reached the end of my tether too.

We appreciate any of your pearls of wisdom Deschutes....we do!

beary said:
deschutes - thanks very much for all your helpful advice!! :laugh:

I will get going soon. Really. I will. Seriously. I mean it.

Let s make a vow.....

at least ONE line....before the end of the week....

What say?

(Im sure mine will be...."Statement of purpose" in MS-Word).... :)

On second thoughts, how about TWO lines?

quant said:
Let s make a vow.....

Sounds good quant - we have to hold each other to it!! :thumbup:

Things are only going to get busier for me when I start surgery, so I really should just do it now!!

Nonono I don't mind it, really - even if it makes me feel like I'm weeelly weelly short. (ello... down here...)

quant said:
But when do they really?......that s what is bugging me....

Cause i want to send in an application which is as complete as it can be......And with me having postponed my step 2 cs, i can t do that before sept 15 th.....Is that ok?
Send individual items in as you get them. There's really no rhyme or reason to the downloading process. You will spend many anxious moments wondering if the crucial document that will make them offer you an interview is the one that is missing - it's all a crapshoot.

Step 2 CS in its 2nd year in 2006 is still so new that I find it hard to believe that the residency powers-that-be will be making many hard and fast rules about it. The NBME is still busy ironing out the wrinkles for heaven's sake.

deschutes said:
Nonono I don't mind it, really - even if it makes me feel like I'm weeelly weelly short. (ello... down here...)

Send individual items in as you get them. There's really no rhyme or reason to the downloading process. You will spend many anxious moments wondering if the crucial document that will make them offer you an interview is the one that is missing - it's all a crapshoot.

Step 2 CS in its 2nd year in 2006 is still so new that I find it hard to believe that the residency powers-that-be will be making many hard and fast rules about it. The NBME is still busy ironing out the wrinkles for heaven's sake.

I dont want to sound extremely anal here.....(I know i do..)

But did you guys finish you ACLS and PALS certification before you applied?...i think this question is directed more towards you deschutes.....Does your residency program provide means to take it or is it something you have to do on your own?

argh i dont believe i m even asking this question....

quant said:
But did you guys finish you ACLS and PALS certification before you applied?...i think this question is directed more towards you deschutes.....Does your residency program provide means to take it or is it something you have to do on your own?
Well let me tell you something that is going to make you apply to U of M (not that other U of M!) - our department only requires BLS of us. :eek: :cool: :D

I went over a couple of Fridays ago with the rest of the R1s and we got it done in a morning.

It was funny because we were there with a bunch of Anes R2s - and they were having just as much trouble as we were :laugh:

deschutes said:
Well let me tell you something that is going to make you apply to U of M (not that other U of M!) - our department only requires BLS of us. :eek: :cool: :D

I went over a couple of Fridays ago with the rest of the R1s and we got it done in a morning.

It was funny because we were there with a bunch of Anes R2s - and they were having just as much trouble as we were :laugh:

yowzaa.....U of M it is....

The other U of M doesnt even have ONE IMG.....no go!

Just to echo some of the advice given here...

When you devise the list of programs which you will end up visiting, you'll may have a preconceived notion as to what your top choices are and then there will be the rest of the programs that comprise the remainder of the list.

You're gonna be using the first interview or two as warmup interviews. Things to refamiliarize yourself with is that there are these things called airplanes...airplanes leave and arrive at airports...airplanes don't land or arrive on time. Other issues will be little things like how comfortable you will be in your shoes and your interview suit or how to pack your luggage efficiently while not overpacking. Ya know...practical stuff. More importantly, you'll start to get the impression of what issues are important in residency training. However, be forewarned that you will never grasp the pertinent issues in depth until you end up joining a residency program. But at least, you'll get an understanding of what the issues may be and you can use these early warmup interviews as a point of reference for comparison. On that note, you really only need one, maybe two, warmup interviews.

For the rest of the programs, I would favor that you interview at programs you are seriously considering (i.e., top 5 of your preconceived rank list) somewhere near the middle or early end of late interview season. You don't want to schedule your #1 program (only if you know what that program is) as the last interview too late in the season. You'll be burned out and you just won't care as much as you did in the first several interviews. Interview at a program really late in the game (I'd say mid January to late January) because programs tend to expect people to cancel these later interviews. Hence, you may catch a poorly organized program a bit off guard. But who knows...this is based on only my experience and others' experiences may differ.

Whether you interview at your top choice programs in December or January probably won't make that much of a difference (I overestimated the importance of this when I went through the process last year). If programs really like you, they'll let you know. Plus, let's say that one of your early, warmup or pseudowarmup, interviews were at programs that really surprised you in a positive fashion and that you really liked and would consider ranking near the top of the list. No need to worry. Just send them a follow-up correspondence later in the season (probably late January, a few weeks before their rank order lists are due) telling them that "after completing my interviews, I still thought your program was da bomb!" That will come across as very sincere and give them the impression that you really thought through your decision carefully. That is good.

As you go on interviews, some programs will surprise you in a good way. On the other hand, some programs will leave you very disappointed. That is to be expected and should not create anxiety.

There is an IMG here. Plus a couple of IMG fellows.

It's good to get the first interview out of the way at a place you are probably comfortable at, or at least not too stressed about visiting. After that though, I'm not sure. I think my best interview experiences were starting with my 3rd interview. I spaced them out well enough so they didn't get too old and difficult, which I recommend if possible. Back to back days is nasty.