Residency Interview Travel Tax Deductions

Started by toft32
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

toft32

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any information on what types of expenses are tax deductable for residency interviews? My wife has done a lot of travel and accumlated a hefty travel bill. I was wondering if any of it is tax deductable and how I would go about claiming it.

Thanks!
 
toft32 said:
Anyone have any information on what types of expenses are tax deductable for residency interviews? My wife has done a lot of travel and accumlated a hefty travel bill. I was wondering if any of it is tax deductable and how I would go about claiming it.

Thanks!

Sorry - the news is that these type of expenses are not tax deductible, at least under the standard "educational" or "job search" categories (if you can find another way, that's up to you).

Residency is not considered a change of job so the deductions are not allowed for interview expenses. This issue has been dealt with before herewith. Check out the following links:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=163890&highlight=tax+deductions

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=160412&highlight=tax+deductions

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107037&highlight=tax+deductions