Residency Interviews, how do you get ready?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for Neurology and have my next interview in a month. Are there any websites with interview experiences in Neurology for specific programs like the ones we have for med school admission on this website? How is everyone getting ready for these? Any input will be helpful. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok... It does not have to be websites for Neurology Interviews... It could be any residency interview tips... ???? Thank you for your help.

Hey dude. I'm also an MSIV applying for neurology with interviews soon :)

You might want to check out the book "Iserson's guide to getting into residency," as it has some excellent tips for residency interview preparation. It gives some sample questions and answers and recommends that you undergo a mock interview with a friend or advisor to prepare and gain confidence. It also has valuable information on professional attire and other things. Good luck to you sir, and I looking forward to working with you in the future!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the preparation you need you already have done. That is, you have done all the things on your CV, figured out why you want to be in neurology, and (hopefully) have learned to be a decent human being. Neurology interviews are usually friendly and nonconfrontational, so if you're a nice person and have a reasonable, honest CV, no worries. If you're not a nice person, it's a little late to learn now, don't you think?

Of course, that's not to say there's nothing you can do to prepare. Here are a couple things:

- Think of two interesting neurological cases you've seen; know the history, neuroanatomy, and why they're cool. Sometimes you get asked to give a case (and sometimes from different interviewers at the same place), so having a couple in mind ahead of time keeps you from struggling. Granted, you might not get asked as much as you hear - I had 11 neuro interviews and got asked twice, both at the same place. But friends of mine were asked more.

- Know how you'd answer the "difficult" interview questions, like "What are your strengths?" & "What are your weaknesses?". These are terribly unoriginal questions that most interviewers don't ask, but you might get them occasionally. I got asked twice - once by a researcher who admitted he hadn't given interviews before, and once by a chief resident.

- Know how you'll explain any flaws or red flags on your application. VERY important, because people will ask. And when you get asked, realize that dishonesty, glossing over past screwups, or badmouthing others in your reply are not good ideas. Not in an interview, not at a resident dinner - never.

- Know why exactly you're going into neurology, and be able to talk about anything and everything that's on your application. This includes hobbies, past research, international stuff, old jobs, and stuff on your personal statement. These are BY FAR the things you get asked about the most. But don't stress; you should already naturally be able answer these questions. If you spend four hours formulating a "perfect" answer to questions about who you are and what you've done, it'll probably come out awkward and unnatural.

- Look up things about the institution and the people you're interviewing with (if you know already). Not so much that you become creepy, but enough to be informed, not ask boneheaded questions, and figure out things you want to know about them.

- Come up with a list of things you want to know about the program. There were a couple of my interviews where the interviewer said, "Well, I have your application here and so don't need to ask you all that much, but what questions do you have about us?" The whole interview was ME asking questions of THEM. Plus with all the people you meet throughout the day, you'll be asked, "What questions do you have?" enough times it'll make you nauseous. So having a list of questions is a good idea.

- Get your travel arrangements in order. Make sure plane ticket dates are accurate. Get your interview clothes ready. Print out mapquest driving directions and program contact information if you run into trouble. Bring your cell phone charger. And for goodness sake, bring your interview suit on the plane as a carry-on. Checked luggage gets lost, people.

That's probably enough right there. But above all, remember: you don't need to stress out all that much. Neuro interviews tend to be laid-back. If they are mean, they won't fill their slots (regardless of how "upper echelon" they may be).

Agree with the above advice! I didn't have a single tough or difficult question at any of my interviews ... and I agree, the hardest thing was always coming up with more questions to ask of the programs to convey my interest when I was tired ...

My input: Be very, very cautious about any program that is anything but nice to you - you should feel that you are wanted at the institution - they invited you for an interview, after all, and if they can't be nice to you for one or two days, imagine how they might treat you over the next 3 or 4 years ...

That advice goes in both directions, though - mind your manners - it is a lot of work for a lot of already busy people to organize interviews - let them know you appreciate it :)

By the way - have fun!! I had a blast driving all over and flying ... it's really fun to see the country, just listening to some tunes and having some time to yourself outside your "natural habitat" of the hospital :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate all of your time. I will keep all these things in mind.