Residency (ITER) evaluations and applying to a second residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelastpuff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone

I am a dual citizen with Canada and the USA interested in applying to a competitive US residency (ophthalmology) after finishing family medicine in Canada. I am in the process of completing my step examinations. I am very curious about the role of residency evaluations (if any) when applying to a second residency.

I had a few "ocassional supervision" check boxes in residency in certain off service rotations. They aren't a big deal in my programs and the attendings usually do the evaluations in ten minutes.

I am worried how they're viewed in the grand scheme of things in US residencies. Given I am non-traditional, I am not sure if these are required, let alone provide any value or insight to any programs .

The reason for this question is that my residency is near completion and I do have time to "challenge" and ask my preceptors nicely to change it.

Ultimately, I am not sure what the benefit would be? and if it's worth the mental energy and time.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ophthal programs are not going to be interested in your evaluations. They will want to see a letter from your PD summarizing your performance, not your individual evaluations. Although Canadian residencies are ACGME, the evaluation systems sound very different.

You discussed this plan before: Canadian Medical Student - US residency position

This is going to be an uphill battle. You'll need stellar USMLE's, and Ophthal letters from academic centers.

The good news is that if it doesn't work out, you've got a career in FM in Canada.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users