Residency Location and where you end up practicing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in derm in particular, does residency location affect where you want to practice? What factors come into play for where you practice? in general, matching anywhere for derm in itself is something to be grateful for.... In an ideal dreamy world, I would love to go to residency in new york, but end up in Miami or Chicago or a southern city.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So, in derm in particular, does residency location affect where you want to practice? What factors come into play for where you practice? in general, matching anywhere for derm in itself is something to be grateful for.... In an ideal dreamy world, I would love to go to residency in new york, but end up in Miami or Chicago or a southern city.

Thanks.

It's a bit harder in oversaturated cities to break in if you don't have connections. For instance, it's really hard to break into NYC, as many graduating residents are willing to get paid less to "live in NYC." Miami and Chicago are also pretty saturated. There are smaller cities in the Midwest and American Southwest that are less saturated.

Thanks.

Our graduating residents haven't seemed to have trouble finding spots. We are located far from NY and Miami but have sent residents into both academic and private practice positions there with a few connections. Cannot really speak on Chicago though, I don't believe anyone has gone there recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet, so i guess the emphasis is on connections but does doing ur residency in that city particularly help you gain an advantage in acquiring a job in that city....point being, for example, if i wanted to practice in Chicago, am i serving myself at a disadvantage by doing my residency elsewhere (i.e. NY or california or the south)?

I'd say if your target is a saturated area, then you should try to train there. I'm a resident in NYC and the main question for residents here seems to be "Do I leave NYC or not?". It seems a lot...majority even, end up staying in or near the city. I would guess this makes it harder for someone from elsewhere to break in to the area.

I'm not sure if it puts you at a huge disadvantage to train elsewhere. However, if you wanted to end up in Chicago, I think it's best to try to train in Chicago. If you train in Chicago and want to move to Mid-City Tennessee or what have you, then you should be good to go as well.