Residency Location Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shenanigans327

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I was recently accepted and will be attending TUSPM for the class of 2015. I am also recently married, with a wife who works as a nurse. With the housing market the way that it is now, we were considering buying a townhouse around the South Jersey/Cherry Hill area, as it would be comparable to renting, plus having the benefits of owning a home for tax purposes, equity etc. My question is, what would the chances be that one would be able to match into residency in driving distance to Philly/South Jersey after graduation? Basically, if someone really wanted to remain in the Philly area for 7-8 years until completion of residency, how likely would it be? I know that 2015 is a long ways away and there are alot of variables to consider (performance in school/performance on interviews etc.) I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion/experience in owning while attending school, is this a crazy idea?...Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!! I'm an alum and had a very good experience there!

There are MANY residencies in the Philadelphia/NJ area you are talking about. If you're a good student and have good skills, it is possible to stay in that area through residency.

You do have to remember that life is an adventure and there is an old saying that "Men plan, God Laughs". You just never know where you may end up or why.

thanks for the insight:)

I'm really excited to start at Temple, was just looking for an attending's perspective prior to committing for the next 7-8 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
The main thing I would caution is just not to get ahead of yourself. The attrition rate in pod schools is considerable, so you will have to study hard and apply yourself. Residency match is competitive (esp in coming years), so you have to make connections and be a competitive applicant. You want to get the most out of school and find a residency with solid clinical training to build on that.

As was mentioned, there are a lot of residencies in the Phila and NYC areas:
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp (click "State" to sort by location)

GL and congrats on acceptance :thumbup:

That's all speculation. You're just starting out, and there are a significant number of programs within driving distance of the geographic area you are thinking of buying. So in the best scenario you match and have a nice home and in the worst scenario you've invested in a temporary home, saved rent and can sell the home when you relocate and recoup your investment.

Times change and there may be a program elsewhere that interests you more than the Philly/SJ area. You've got to do what's best for you NOW, since you don't know what the future really has in store for you. However, as you advance during your years in school, if you decide that a Philly area program is definitely what you want, you need to start working on obtaining one of those programs by visiting, externing, etc., and doing everything you can to eventually increase your odds of matching.

Yea, you will change a lot over the next 4-5 years. As you progress through school, you really start to see what you want. I recently found a list that I made my first year with residencies that I was interested in. The program that I ended up choosing wasn't even on the list!