Residency Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megsMS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it still possible to match in something like Optho or Derm if your first year grades aren't the best (ex. around 3.0)? Or is it a totally hopeless case?

Members don't see this ad.

Its not a "hopeless case"! There are other factors such as boards,research,LORs, which carry much weight.Clearly if first year grades are not great other things will have to make up for it.Optho has many more residency programs and positions availble than Derm,so its easier to match especially if one looks at middle and lower level programs.

ny skindoc,

Thank you so much for your optimism. I have heard so many times from people and other residency forums that unless you are perfect in every way, you will not get in. I have had a tough time this year dealing with depression and family problems but I have started counseling, etc. and am performing much better in school and I will be doing research this summer. I have wanted to be a dermatologist for years, and was hoping that my mistakes the first two semesters would not hurt me that badly. I know I will have to work hard to stand out in other areas, but thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always planned on applying for Rads, and have cultivated the contacts, done the research, etc... to try and match in that field. But I was recently exposed to Derm for the first time and loved it!! I have heard that there is no chance of matching in Derm unless you have research in it, and I won't be able to do any before I graduate. Does that mean I have no chance, and shouldn't even try?

Thanks for any advice or information!

there is much glory in popping pimples! carry on, noble ones!

As a rule derm residency programs like to see research as evidence of a strong interest in the field.However there are those who match without it.There is nothing to stop you from applying to Derm but you will have to explain why everything in your application points to your being a radiology applicant.There are people who applied to Derm this year and matched into rads as their backup,so you can apply to both.If I were you I would stick with rads as it is an easier match and you will likely do well with it.If you are really commited to derm, consider spending a year after internship doing a research fellowship.

NY skin doc,
on your last reply you noted a research fellowship after intern year. I'm a 4th year med student who has decided very late in the game on Derm, so I was planning on deferring match until next year and doing research fellowship NEXT year. Would it be a better strategy to go ahead and match just for an intern year and then do a research fellowship the year after? It's so late I would need to basically send in ERAS like tomorrow. Thanks!