Residency match with a step 1 failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katelyn030

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can those of you AMG’s who failed step 1 on first try please comment below what residencies you matched into or if you even matched at all? Also please comment your step scores on the second try, if you don’t mind.

Members don't see this ad.

The only person I know of who failed it the first time matched into a bottom tier psych residency.

This is STILL better than the results of most going to the carribean with good scores on the first try.

You are an AMG. You are going to be ok. You’ll get a residency and pay back your loans. The most competitive specialties are off the table for you without an enormous headache and a miracle, but if you somehow do fantastic on the repeat and step 2 you may be able to open back up some moderately competitive specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Work on strengthening other aspects of your application. The step 1 failure is there and there's not anything you can do about it. There are many programs that will likely screen you out no matter what else you have on your application - nothing you can do about that. If you haven't retaken step 1 already, do your absolute best and make doing well your mission in life. Do well on your clinical rotations. Do the usual things of research or some kind of scholarly work so that you have other things on your CV. Make sure you develop good relationships so that you can get strong letters when the time comes.

If the rest of your application is positive, this will be seen as a blip - a significant blip, but a blip nonetheless. The problems come when you then go on to fail multiple clerkships, fail step 2, have mediocre letters, don't have anything else on your application, etc. A step 1 failure does not spell doom. It probably will limit your options to some degree, but if you're able to rebound and demonstrate that you're able to do what you need to do to make your situation better, you will likely be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreeing with the above. It’s a red flag for sure, but you can limit the damage by ensuring it’s the only red flag. Obviously if you haven’t retaken yet, you need to pass on the second attempt and do not take the exam until your practice scores are 20+ points above passing.

I would argue that the retake score itself isn’t terribly important since the damage is done. Shoot for something solid and comfortably passing; there is no score high enough that would make up for the failed exam.

Going forward, your best shot at matching and having a program look past the red flag would be your home programs, so make sure you’re working especially hard on rotations and building good relationships. You may end up needing faculty to make some phone calls on your behalf to get you past automatic screens at some programs, so develop those relationships early and nurture them.

The only person I know of who failed it the first time matched into a bottom tier psych residency.

This is STILL better than the results of most going to the carribean with good scores on the first try.

You are an AMG. You are going to be ok. You’ll get a residency and pay back your loans. The most competitive specialties are off the table for you without an enormous headache and a miracle, but if you somehow do fantastic on the repeat and step 2 you may be able to open back up some moderately competitive specialties.

Might be a stupid question, but what does AMG mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I failed Step 1 by 2 points. Retook and got a 205. Got a 225 on Step 2.

Matched at my #2 program in Anesthesia at a mid-upper tier program. It can be done if you make up for your exams in other areas of your app. Also, having a good personality can go far.

Keep your chin up.

US AMG, Step 1 failed/205, Step 2 225. Matched Anesthesia in Mid-Upper tier program.