Residency on H1B visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey!

I am a fellow Canadian applying to a US DO school. Can somone comment on how "easy" and what scores are needed to get an H1B sponsoring residency? How does one go about finding these residency directors??

Thanks
 
Hey!

I am a fellow Canadian applying to a US DO school. Can somone comment on how "easy" and what scores are needed to get an H1B sponsoring residency? How does one go about finding these residency directors??

Thanks

I'm a non-US IMG and am not clued in about DO, but what is very apparent from the running threads is that DO may be a very bad idea. Residency after DO may have become just short of impossible by the time you graduate. Please reconsider while your life is still not botched.
 
Premium processing of i-140 takes 15 days. I'm not a lawyer (was just browsing, trying to see if I could start residency on time with regular processing of H1B), but it seems this is even better for those looking for a GC, than applying a year in advance.

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/employmentbasedimmigration/i-140-premium-processing.html

3 Years Extensions of H1B
If the person's I-140 is approved and the priority date is not current, the person is eligible to get an extension of H1B in increments of 3 years at a time, beyond 6 years. You are NOT required to have one year old priority date. Just the I-140 approval is enough. More information.
If I-140 is approved faster using premium processing, it will save time, money and effort for both the employer and employee as they don't have to file 1 year extensions. Additionally, the employee does not have to renew the driver's license every year in some states that renew license only up to the duration of legal stay in the US.


It's complicated, but unfortunately (for you) the first lawyer is basically correct. When you apply for a GC, you qualify for extension of your H1b if your I-140 was filed at least a year before the expiration of your H1b. Take a look here: http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1b-visa-extension-beyond-6-years.html You want scenario 2.

All that said, I ain't a lawyer and really just read websites, so this could be totally wrong. But most websites talk about the 1 year requirement.
 
I'm a non-US IMG and am not clued in about DO, but what is very apparent from the running threads is that DO may be a very bad idea. Residency after DO may have become just short of impossible by the time you graduate. Please reconsider while your life is still not botched.
What?! Can you comment further on this?