SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Residency Personal Statement Services/Sites

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by miamidoc2b, May 12, 2007.

1. miamidoc2b

miamidoc2b 10+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Here
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with sites that help one out with personals statements. I came across a few like essayedge.com , accepted.com, etc. Did anyone use something similar and if so, what was your experience?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Not that you asked, but I'm not sure of the value of these services for residency applications.

For one, their self-professed expertise is in writing personal statements for SCHOOL. Residency is not school and the PS are generally written in a different light.

Secondly, since PS tend to be less important than for medical school, I'm not sure you couldn't come up with a decent one on your own. The vast majority of residency PS I've seen are middle of the road, boring. A few are so perfunctory as to beg the question, "why'd you even bother?". And a few are fascinating, interesting reading. If an essay service can help you get into the last category, that would be worthwhile - of course, just like all things in life, you have to get to the point where people actually read your PS. If your scores and grades are low, at many programs that won't occur.

Still, I encourage people to try and spend some time on their PS, if only because I know several programs commented positively on mine and I'm sure it helped me get at least one or two interviews.

4. Miyagi

Miyagi New Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2006
    I have used essayedge.com a few times for a couple of different things. Well worth the money. Especially if you are like me and are use to writtining
    pt with GBD and low GBEF s/p ccy.
    They don't write the essay for you but bring all your ideas together and strengthen your PS. My PS went from a 6 to a 10++.
    You have a week to e-mail them and go over ideas or suggestions, they edit your paper twice.
    My friends and PD in interviews were all impressed.
    My PS is now hanging on my fridge.
    BTW before I sent them my PS i did like 50 revision of my own and over 3 month worth of work. Just don't write BS to get it done and send it in, it won't be of any help.Send it in when you would be happy to submit it on its own merit to programs.
    Have friends and family help you too. My mom has still has nightmares about how many times I had her read my revisions :)