Residency/Practicing in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ithilia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for a US citizen (who went to med school in the US) to do a residency in Canada? Or if a person becomes a licensed physician in the US, what kind of things do they need to do to be able to practice in Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to match to a residency in Canada-- Canadian grads get 'first dibs' on spots. I'm assuming US grads are treated the same way as any other foreign grads (although among foreign grads, you'd have a huge advantage). If you want to do something like family practice (or something else relatively non-competitive) you'd probably match. I don't know. Find the CaRMS website & read their regulations.
Your citizenship doesn't matter as much as where you got your MD. A Canadian who did their MD in the States would have a similar situation.
However, if you do a residency in the US, it's easy to find work & get licensed in Canada (and eventually get citizenship, if you wanted).