residency prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freestyle22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to stay very general on this.

I may need a little bit of SDN therapy before the match here. I went through medical school and did great on the boards, with a great GPA, letters, etc, and decided to rank my home program at the top because I love the people, etc, wife likes the area, etc. It is a very good solid program, but not like a harvard, yale, hopkins, etc. I'm hoping this wont affect my career opportunities, but think this was the decision best for me. Anyone else ever experience these kind of thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

isn't that the point of the ranking process?

You are not alone in having these thoughts. Most people that post on these boards seem to be the people who rank Harvard and Hopkins first (judging from some of the rank order list threads) so you may seem like a minority. You are not weird or setting yourself up for future disappointment. You made a well thought out decision that was best for you and your family.

I am one of those people who ranked some of the high powered programs first and from time to time I am *afraid* that I will actually match into one of them! You will have the benefit of feeling comfortable in your home program and will have a happy spouse and friends in the area.

which is the Program and what specialty freestyle22? if I know this then I might be able to add my 2 cents on this. by going on what you said about your program 'solid', looks like there should be no problem advancing your career after residency. however, although many say'what's in a name'? reputation of the program does matter according to me. It makes it easy for you to get into any fellowship at any program of your choice later without having to sweat too much about it. you get to choose. thats the difference man! GL with the match.

It sounds like you made the right choice. I made a similar one, but all the people at the more prestigious programs I didn't match at certainly understood the need to do what's right for my family - and assured me it wouldn't effect my future/fellowship opportunities, etc.

A good resident is a good resident. Period. Good luck...