Residency Program or Continuing Education?

Started by LivinMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LivinMT

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I graduated from PT school in May 2013, and have been practicing in outpatient pediatrics and outpatient orthopedics since. Recently, I have started looking into/applying to orthopedic residency programs. However, I have also been looking and am very interested in a number of physical therapy continuing education courses. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice/personal experience on choosing between a residency and continuing education?
Side note: If I choose the continuing education route I will be doing traveling PT around the courses (or at least as much as I can manage).
 
I've done both. Ultimately, I chose to pursue a residency for the mentorship, clinical reasoning, and critical thinking. This is not to say you won't find those things in con ed, especially if you pursue a certification, but I found that process lacking continuity and somewhat choppy. Feel free to PM me if you want specifics, otherwise, good luck!