residency program selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimchee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

next year, i am going to apply for residency programs like many third years. i am concerned that i lost my chance for selective programs. due to my poor performance in first year, i had to repeat the year and told that the residency directors will know of the repeated courses. however, i did well on the step 1 (got>85% range, >235). so, am i doom for selective/good programs?
i haven't really made up my mind in terms of what i want to do yet, ut like to have some options. also,i attend mid to low tier MD med school.
i'm just not sure how important the first year courses and the grades in residency selections. some say that not at all as long as step 1 is great, regardless rather i repeated or not. some say it comes into considerations and will take note of it. i would appreciate if anyone clearify this

Members don't see this ad.

Doomed is a rather harsh word and it probably doesn't apply for most programs if:

a) you have a GOOD reason why you had such trouble your first year (programs WILL know you repeated the year as we get copies of all your transcripts and it will undoubtedly be mentioned in some of your LORs)

b) you have shown not only improvement but VAST improvement in your academics

c) everything else in your application is nice and shiny; ie, no other red flags. In the most competitive programs you may have some trouble as they have plenty of people with stellar applications and may find your repetition of first year as a reason to screen you out.

But in the end, what's done is done and now all you can do is work hard and make the best of it. In general, basic science grades are not as important to residency placement as are clinical grades, LORs and USMLE scores, but they are not unimportant.

I would agree that you should probably do everything in your power to make the rest of your application truly stellar, and prove that whatever it was that happened 1st yr will never happen again.

No, I don't believe you are doomed. I know a number of students - who after failing several courses during basic science years (even having to repeat an entire year) - that were able to secure a residency position in both competitive specialties and upper tier programs of noncompetitive specialties. In many cases, these students have had life-changing events that affected their academic performance and their stories of perseverance and the way they picked themselves up after these events have been impressive.

As the posters mentioned, you will want to strengthen every other aspect of your application. Since you will be asked to explain what it is that happened that resulted in your poor academic performance, you should be ready to answer these types of questions. There is a way to answer these questions and a way not to. While I don't know the circumstances of your particular situation, it is important not to blame anyone else, speak poorly of your medical school/faculty in any way, or show any other type of negativity. If you present yourself as an accountable person who has learned from the situation, then you will be able to convince the program that your poor performance is not likely to be repeated in the future.

I would also recommend that you begin to or continue to forge (if you have already started) solid relationships with the faculty in your chosen specialty. In the event that your application gets weeded out in a residency program's initial screen, your faculty can call the program director or another member of the residency selection committee to inform them of the unusual nature of your situation and how your performance has improved since you repeated that year. Efforts and actions such as these can lead to interview invitations.

Finally, I'll share with you a story of a student who had to repeat an entire year because he failed multiple courses during his first year of medical school. After this happened, he worked hard, performed at a high level, did well on his boards (like you!), and really got to know the faculty in his desired specialty. Seven years later, he is now a dermatologist, having completed his dermatology residency.

Best of luck,

Samir Desai, MD

Samir Desai said:
Finally, I'll share with you a story of a student who had to repeat an entire year because he failed multiple courses during his first year of medical school. After this happened, he worked hard, performed at a high level, did well on his boards (like you!), and really got to know the faculty in his desired specialty. Seven years later, he is now a dermatologist, having completed his dermatology residency.

Best of luck,

Samir Desai, MD

I find this hard to believe. Someone repeated their first year and matched derm? You sure about this doc?

esposo said:
I find this hard to believe. Someone repeated their first year and matched derm? You sure about this doc?

100% positive.

Samir Desai, MD

kimchee said:
Hi all,

next year, i am going to apply for residency programs like many third years. i am concerned that i lost my chance for selective programs. due to my poor performance in first year, i had to repeat the year and told that the residency directors will know of the repeated courses. however, i did well on the step 1 (got>85% range, >235). so, am i doom for selective/good programs?
i haven't really made up my mind in terms of what i want to do yet, ut like to have some options. also,i attend mid to low tier MD med school.
i'm just not sure how important the first year courses and the grades in residency selections. some say that not at all as long as step 1 is great, regardless rather i repeated or not. some say it comes into considerations and will take note of it. i would appreciate if anyone clearify this

Hi there,
You have third year to bang out some good postive grades in your required clerkships so all is definitely lost. There are plenty of folks who repeated first year and went on to great careers because they ultimately showed their dedication to good medicine. You can rack up some Honors during third year especially medicine and surgery. You can do audition rotations at the more competitive places and let them get to know you during fourth year. Just do your auditions early so that the residency directors have a chance to get to know you well. The known is always better than the unknown.

Finally, have a good faculty advisor who can make some phone calls on your behalf. Ideally this should be someone who is familiar with your difficulties and all that you have done to overcome them. Also, this person can help you get a good department chairman's letter which can also help you.

Don't think for a second that you are "doomed". You have loads of time to demonstrate your excellence and abilities. Even the person who graduates last in class gets to be called "Doctor". Do some "damage-control" and make some good contacts.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

Yes, you are doomed. All the scenarios listed above were rare exceptions. A person is not going to match radiology let alone dermatology if he or she fails their first year and has to repeat it. The initial screens would filter that person. I'm not trying to be rude and I apologize if you take this the wrong way but let's inject some reality into this thread. There is a difference between encouraging someone and providing them with unrealistic fantasies. If you bomb your first year, you are doomed.

azcomdiddy said:
Yes, you are doomed. All the scenarios listed above were rare exceptions. A person is not going to match radiology let alone dermatology if he or she fails their first year and has to repeat it. The initial screens would filter that person. I'm not trying to be rude and I apologize if you take this the wrong way but let's inject some reality into this thread. There is a difference between encouraging someone and providing them with unrealistic fantasies. If you bomb your first year, you are doomed.

Saying that one is doomed is a bit harsh. At the same time, I find it difficult to believe that a 5th year could match into very competitive spots like derm, rads, surgery etc. unless he or she has a father who is the program director or they scored a 260+ on Step 1.