1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Residency Program Tiers

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by btmed772, Dec 1, 2005.

1. btmed772

btmed772 Member
    7+ Year Member

Can someone please direct me to information on the relative rankings of anesthesia programs? I keep hearing references to Tier 1, 2, and 3 programs, but I can't seem to find a list.

I'm a MSIII, and I was speaking to an anesthesiologist who seemed to really stress going to a top program. How important do you think this it is to be in a top tier program with regard to the number of options available to you for work post-residency? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lvspro

lvspro ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    FAQ's

4. blaze

blaze Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I question this as well. It seems everyone on this forum tends to say go where you will be happy based on location etc. However, I did 2 anesthesia rotations, one at an academic program and one within a private group and the overwhelming majority of the anesthesiologists in both settings said go to the program with best reputation and name you can. I have a close family friend who is an anesthesiologist and knowing he is giving me sincere advice instructed me to do the same. Rather confusing if you ask me...

5. nolagas

nolagas Member
    10+ Year Member

The problem with this topic in the faq is that the programs listed as tiers 1, 2, and 3 are all top tier programs. No programs that are actually 2nd or 3rd tier are mentioned at all in that part of the faq. I doubt you'll be any better off going to JHU vs Duke even though they're in different tiers in the faq. It's probably a good idea to rank programs according to location etc. when they have similar reputations (tiers 1,2,3) but not otherwise. That's what I'll probably do anyway. Then again, residents at the lesser known programs I've visited seem to get jobs and fellowships just as well as elite grads. Who knows?

6. ecCA1

ecCA1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It probably doesn't matter where you went to residency for most jobs. Look at the people who are working in different areas in private practice. Most of them did not go to top places, yet they mostly have jobs that one would be thankful to have. I guess if you wanted to be a professor at Harvard it would be easier to have gone to the best place possible, but most of us don't care for that anyway.

Now if the field were to tighten up in some number of years it might matter more where you went, but for most of us in this era, it is a moot point.