Residency program transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dra. Cula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone has experience with transferring from one residency program to another. I am currently at a program I love in many ways. However, my quality of life is taking a big hit due to their really high case load and am starting to worry about my mental wellbeing. It feels like every year the case load is becoming larger and larger. I used to have about 6 patients of my own in a weekend plus consults, work ups and sometimes surgeries which I was able to work with. However, lately it has been over 10 patients plus consults and work ups which is really taking a toll on me. Is transferring something frowned upon? How's the process like? Is it difficult to find a program to transfer to?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that your current situation is very difficult.

I would be surprised if "caseload is very high" would be an acceptable reason to transfer. Too low, potentially. In general, I think it's exceptionally rare to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of the few people I have personally known who transferred did so because their mentors all left the institution for other jobs and no one was left to educate them anymore at their home institution. Other programs stepped up to take these “orphaned” residents in and the original institution helped fund their salaries at the new institution.

I know of a couple people who transferred or left because of bullying or other interpersonal issues between reisdents and mentors or other staff members, but those are less common. One of my residentmates looked into possibly transferring because she didn’t want to stay in our program, but there were no openings and ended up just leaving the specialty altogether instead and returning to GP. Another person who left my program before I got there pretty much had to start all over and do three entire years at the new school. Most places aren’t just going to have an opening to take someone in on a whim. And if a place is looking to replace someone mid-program, I’d definitely want to know why the heck someone quit and why there is suddenly an opening. If they were to add to a program off cycle (meaning no one quit, they’re just adding you), I imagine it would just be because the program is so busy and they need more bodies to do the work, which isn’t going to solve your issue of feeling like you have too many cases at all. Most places operate house officer programs in a tight budget so they can’t (or won’t) just create new programs willy nilly.

Ultimately, I agree with shorty…I think it’s unlikely you’ll be able to find a program to transfer to for these reasons. Maybe if you already had strong ties to an institution, but probably not just anywhere. If you were to transfer there may be some gossip but long term effects would probably be fairly minimal other than talk. But I just don’t think this will be considered a valid reason to transfer (even though mental health should be important).

I think you’d potentially have more luck talking things over with your residency coordinator and see if they can reduce your caseload or something, even if just temporarily. Surely they’d rather you be there seeing some cases than having to replace you. It wouldn’t be an easy conversation but I would explore that first.

Residency is tough. I love my job but I wouldn’t want to go back to being a resident. Sorry you’re having such a hard time, but I promise you’re not alone in being overwhelmed. It gets light years better on the other side if you can hang in that long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have other residents with you or is it a kind of an overall staffing and volume problem? Are their caseloads similar?

Are you bad at saying no or admitting you need help? PLEASE do NOT take this as victim-blaming...the reason I am asking this is I used to be absolutely awful at asking for help (during residency, during my PhD, and during the first couple years of my job), and ended up drowning in work more than once because of it, so I know what it's like. Especially when you are in the training stage and feel so pressured to perform.

I think that talking to the program director would be a good first step....I agree with others that workload will be a hard sell as a reason to transfer, even if it is a valid one. As others have said, residency is incredibly rough no matter the specialty and I'm sorry it sounds like this one is getting to you :(

Reactions: 2 users
Hey,

I'm sorry your residency has been rough, but I'm glad you have a lot of things you like about your program.

Looking at your posting history it looks like you are a first year resident? If so, you are 2 months in and definitely still in the adjustment phase of residency so I would try to give yourself a bit more time to get used to your program's pace and hopefully over time it will be less overwhelming. I feel like it took me at least 6 months at my place before I really felt like I had my feet under me (or at least as under me as you ever can as a resident).

I agree with the above that I haven't really heard of anyone transferring for reasons that are not extremely extra-ordinary such as faculty leaving or severe personal differences. We did have someone leave my program and end up finishing somewhere else several years before my time but I'm not sure if it was a direct transfer or them starting at another program after quitting ours.

Reactions: 1 users
I transferred after my 2nd year for the opposite reason. My institution’s caseload was too low. Feel free to pm me if you want specifics of what I did!