Residency Programs in New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silicone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me about residency programs in New Jersey like Robert Wood Johnson, University Medical center at Princeton, The Valley Hospital, Medco Health solutions etc ? I am not a pharmacy student from New Jersey, but from the research I did I feel like pharmacy students in NJ are more interested in doing a fellowship due to the numerous pharmaceutical industries located there.

How competitive are clinical residency sites in New Jersey ??

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone tell me about residency programs in New Jersey like Robert Wood Johnson, University Medical center at Princeton, The Valley Hospital, Medco Health solutions etc ? I am not a pharmacy student from New Jersey, but from the research I did I feel like pharmacy students in NJ are more interested in doing a fellowship due to the numerous pharmaceutical industries located there.

How competitive are clinical residency sites in New Jersey ??

I am not in a residency, but I have spoken to some people who are doing residencies at Rober Wood. It doesn't seem very competitive from what I understood - but they were pretty happy there.

I went to Rutgers and did rotations at many of those sites but Im doing my residency in NM and didnt apply to any of them. I think the program at RWJ may be the best- it has the greatest number of rotations. The faculty there are extremely knowledgeable and super nice! There are also a lot of research opportunities.

Im not sure how competitive the residency spots are - but I would assume it is average. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I actually had a chance to meet with one of the Rutgers fellow from Novartis during our residency showcase, and I still couldn't make out whether doing a residency over fellowship in New Jersey would be helpful. I know Rutgers has post grad fellowship program, but why aren't they big on residency.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks for the replies. I actually had a chance to meet with one of the Rutgers fellow from Novartis during our residency showcase, and I still couldn't make out whether doing a residency over fellowship in New Jersey would be helpful. I know Rutgers has post grad fellowship program, but why aren't they big on residency.

Because you've got to market what you have and what you do best. There are a ton of schools and university hospitals out there with great pharmacy residency programs. Rather than compete in that crowded market and be another mediocre residency program, they took the nice market of having by far the biggest and best fellowship program. Just due to their location they have access to the industry - why not exploit it?