residency programs on paper: RIC/U of Washington/Mayo

Started by Bleurberry
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bleurberry

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some residency programs seem to offer more to their residents, in benefits, educational features, and coverage, than others. Why is this?
Mayo Clinic, on paper for example, seem to offer a lot more than U of Washington and RIC in terms of program features for residents. Are the differences tangible? Is everything ultimately negotiable? Are these "FRIEDA" online profiles even accurate in terms of how they measure up to the reality of the program?
 
Some residency programs seem to offer more to their residents, in benefits, educational features, and coverage, than others. Why is this?
Mayo Clinic, on paper for example, seem to offer a lot more than U of Washington and RIC in terms of program features for residents. Are the differences tangible? Is everything ultimately negotiable? Are these "FRIEDA" online profiles even accurate in terms of how they measure up to the reality of the program?

not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about salary, health insurance type benefits? What do you mean by "educational features" and "coverage"?
 
not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about salary, health insurance type benefits? What do you mean by "educational features" and "coverage"?

Ok.... for example, Mayo's FRIEDA sheet, looks like this:

[SIZE=-1]http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgm/0,1238,3402621030,00.html

[/SIZE]
The RIC's program, in contrast, looks like this:

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgm/0,1238,3401621014,00.html

I was particularly struck by the divergance in the educational environment section of the profiles.
I was curious about SDN PM&R residents take on how informative these FRIEDA profiles are when compared to the reality of the respective programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would have to talk to current Mayo residents for the scoop, but "back in the day" when I was there, you did sense that the place was, oh how shall we say, "well endowed."

The Mayo Foundation underwrites a lot of education opportunities for medical students, residents, and fellows so what you're seeing on FRIEDA might be a reflection of that. Because I loved Rochester, MN so much I tried to travel as much as possible on Momma Mayo's dime. When I spoke to residents at other programs, I was struck that they had to "scrounge" more for travel dollars than Mayo residents did.

Now, having $$ and having *ACCESS* to $$ are two completely different matters...In the great scheme of things, I would put travel policies next to last on the things to look for in a good residency program.
 
You would have to talk to current Mayo residents for the scoop, but "back in the day" when I was there, you did sense that the place was, oh how shall we say, "well endowed."

The Mayo Foundation underwrites a lot of education opportunities for medical students, residents, and fellows so what you're seeing on FRIEDA might be a reflection of that. Because I loved Rochester, MN so much I tried to travel as much as possible on Momma Mayo's dime. When I spoke to residents at other programs, I was struck that they had to "scrounge" more for travel dollars than Mayo residents did.

Now, having $$ and having *ACCESS* to $$ are two completely different matters...In the great scheme of things, I would put travel policies next to last on the things to look for in a good residency program.

Mayo is well-endowed- but it's graduates are not. drusso, DP, WC, Rama, CWin < AHill. 😀
 
I just wrote a big post about this then it got erased so I won't counter the FREIDA info point for point but suffice to say the info is unreliable and inaccurate. It really depends on who is filling out the form and how he/she is interpreting the questions I guess...

RIC has a lot of $$ and a lot of benefits. Travel money is never a problem because we get a nice chunk of $$ from the Scholl foundation each year (yes, that's Dr. Scholl) We have book money, free books, free PDA, free meals, discounted parking (just went up to $40/month - chicago parkins is typically 2-300/month), etc.

We have professionalism courses, the RIC academy courses are free to us residents and they have courses that people pay 400-$1200 for on complementary alternative medicine, pain management, sports and spine, women's health, EMG, TBI, SCI, stroke, wound care, etc. We have lots of parties and happy hours - different floors have their own budget so they have parties and we party with the therapists and nurses. Only 10 spots per year are paid for by medicare, so the other 2/year x 3 (so 6 positions per year) get paid for by private donations from people like the William Randolph Hearst foundation.

Did I look at the amenities of a program when I applied? sure I did. Does it really matter in the big picture? probably not. Residency is only 3-4 years of your long career. The quality of the education, the alumni connections, job opportunities, and fellowship opportunities are probably much more important than free meals, travel money, etc. We definitely do benefit from the wealth of our institution and Northwestern University, and it makes life cush but I wouldn't have chosen RIC solely based on the amenities. And bottomline FREIDA is not a good info source for this kind of info. Get the accreditation data and contact info but that's about it - and I've heard those can be wrong too. The best thing to do is to see for yourself (interview and/or do a rotation) or talk to current or immediate past residents.

hope this helps.