Residency PS Length

Started by Osteosaur
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying FM with decent scores. I really hate writing about myself. Finally managed to bang out a decent 400 word personal statement. I think it hits the marks okay. Starts with a little anecdote, says my reasons for going into it, highlights a nice thong on my CV, and ends with some goals. I just feel bad it doesn't fill a page on ERAS. And in general I feel like its not really quite as exciting as some others I've read highlighting overseas trips or exciting ED stuff.

Will a shorter PS look bad, or how long are most peoples?
 
Applying FM with decent scores. I really hate writing about myself. Finally managed to bang out a decent 400 word personal statement. I think it hits the marks okay. Starts with a little anecdote, says my reasons for going into it, highlights a nice thong on my CV, and ends with some goals. I just feel bad it doesn't fill a page on ERAS. And in general I feel like its not really quite as exciting as some others I've read highlighting overseas trips or exciting ED stuff.

Will a shorter PS look bad, or how long are most peoples?
Less is always more w/PS. Have some friends and mentors read it for their opinions and correct any flagrant errors and don't look back. Do not ever write more just for "having more" or "looking like it's enough." PS has a larger chance of hurting an applicant than helping. A "regular" PS is fine (as long it's not banal or trite). PS should be like your interview attire: looks conservative and nice and nothing too memorable for bad reasons.

Also, lose the "thong"... on the other hand... put something else on