Residency PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishiningstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice/opinion on including a hands-on experience from Planned Parenthood (where I had volunteered) in my Personal Statement when applying for Residency. Would that be a sensitive/contradictory topic to talk about in the PS? I am not really planning on applying to programs that have any religious affiliation that do not support family planning/abortions. I am still a little concerned and not sure if talking about it in my PS would hurt me in getting interviews or being favorably viewed by programs in the North East. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think it would hurt you. I’d say the safest group to signal your willingness to provide comprehensive reproductive care is Obgyn residencies. For sure there are people within the field and maybe even some PDs but I doubt that those places would be good matches for you anyway. So TLDR it’s relevant experience to Obgyn so include it. It’s very commonplace among applicants so it may not even come up in interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am looking for some advice/opinion on including a hands-on experience from Planned Parenthood (where I had volunteered) in my Personal Statement when applying for Residency. Would that be a sensitive/contradictory topic to talk about in the PS? I am not really planning on applying to programs that have any religious affiliation that do not support family planning/abortions. I am still a little concerned and not sure if talking about it in my PS would hurt me in getting interviews or being favorably viewed by programs in the North East. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

What makes you single out the Northeast? Just curious. Also don’t want people reading this in the future to then read it as some sort of common knowledge that northeast programs are anti-choice.

I don’t think it would hurt you. I’d say the safest group to signal your willingness to provide comprehensive reproductive care is Obgyn residencies. For sure there are people within the field and maybe even some PDs but I doubt that those places would be good matches for you anyway. So TLDR it’s relevant experience to Obgyn so include it. It’s very commonplace among applicants so it may not
I don’t think it would hurt you. I’d say the safest group to signal your willingness to provide comprehensive reproductive care is Obgyn residencies. For sure there are people within the field and maybe even some PDs but I doubt that those places would be good matches for you anyway. So TLDR it’s relevant experience to Obgyn so include it. It’s very commonplace among applicants so it may not even come up in interviews
Got it, thank you so much for your response!

What makes you single out the Northeast? Just curious. Also don’t want people reading this in the future to then read it as some sort of common knowledge that northeast programs are anti-choice.
I was not singling our the Northeast. I meant to say that I would be applying in the Northeast and that is for personal reasons.

Totally agree with this. If it’s something you’re passionate about, sounds like you wouldn’t want to match at programs that don’t align with your views anyway.

Totally agree with this. If it’s something you’re passionate about, sounds like you wouldn’t want to match at programs that don’t align with your views anyway.
Got it, thank you!