Sep 5, 2016
Status
DPT / OTD
Hey Everyone! I am a second year student and have a couple questions regarding residency programs! I am new to looking into all of this so sorry If my questions seem stupid!

If you complete an orthopedic residency is that the same as being CMPT? If not can someone help me understand the difference!

Thanks!

jesspt

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
DPT / OTD
Hey Everyone! I am a second year student and have a couple questions regarding residency programs! I am new to looking into all of this so sorry If my questions seem stupid!

If you complete an orthopedic residency is that the same as being CMPT? If not can someone help me understand the difference!

Thanks!
The goal of an orthopaedic residency program is to (obviously) increase your knowledge base and skill level in treating patients with MSK conditions, and typically it prepares you well to sit for the OCS examination.

The CMPT is a designation given by various organizations that indicates they have passed that organizations standards for what they consider competency in orthopaedic manual physical therapy.