Residency Question

Started by deleted1099686
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1099686

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting D.O. school in a few days. I want to do psychiatry. Main reason I went the D.O. route is because friends/mentors kept telling me that psych is not competitive and very D.O. friendly like FM. But I'm looking at the data now, and psych seems pretty competitive as 27% of D.O. psych applicants didn't match, which is as much as ortho and ortho is considered competitive I'm assuming. Is 73% a bad match rate and will I have a harder time matching into psych even with good boards/EC's? Or am I reading this graph wrong?
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 9.13.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 9.13.12 PM.png
    862.3 KB · Views: 195
Psych is DO friendly, but definitely not as open as FM. Good thing is Psych really value applicants who show strong interests in the field over board scores which you'll have to build over the next 3 year. Psych is one of those fields where someone with a 220 step 1 might match over someone with a 240 simply because they didn't build an app that shows their passion for the field. So if you want it, definitely get involve early in research, interest groups, conferences, etc... and make connections that will help you match. Do some audition rotations early 4th year before match, get strong LoRs, and I think it'll be very possible for you to land Psych from a DO school.
 
Last edited:
Psych is DO friendly, but definitely not as open as FM. Good thing is Psych really value applicants who show strong interests in the field over board scores which you'll have to build over the next 3 year. Psych is one of those field where someone with a 220 step 1 might match over someone with a 240 simply because they didn't build an app that shows their passion for the field. So if you want it, definitely get involve early in research, interest groups, conferences, etc... and make connections that will help you match. Do some audition rotations early 4th year before match, get strong LoRs, and I think it'll be very possible for you to land Psych from a DO school.
Thanks man! That makes me feel better haha, and it makes sense too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting D.O. school in a few days. I want to do psychiatry. Main reason I went the D.O. route is because friends/mentors kept telling me that psych is not competitive and very D.O. friendly like FM. But I'm looking at the data now, and psych seems pretty competitive as 27% of D.O. psych applicants didn't match, which is as much as ortho and ortho is considered competitive I'm assuming. Is 73% a bad match rate and will I have a harder time matching into psych even with good boards/EC's? Or am I reading this graph wrong?
This data is almost 100% not accurate it includes people who used psych as a backup and obviously didn’t match to psych cause it was a back up specialty for them. Look at the charting outcomes it shows the real match % by step 1 and other metrics for people who actually wanted psych..
 
This data is almost 100% not accurate it includes people who used psych as a backup and obviously didn’t match to psych cause it was a back up specialty for them. Look at the charting outcomes it shows the real match % by step 1 and other metrics for people who actually wanted psych..
Actually, I think his data is the one that included people that ranked only Psych.
 
Last edited:
This data is almost 100% not accurate it includes people who used psych as a backup and obviously didn’t match to psych cause it was a back up specialty for them. Look at the charting outcomes it shows the real match % by step 1 and other metrics for people who actually wanted psych..
Hm I can't seem to find it. Could you post it here?
 
It’s all about the interview and being the right fit. Also, do electives and Sub-I’s in psych if you can. Also this past year’s match may be very atypical b/c of the pandemic, and people overapplied so some programs were stressed and may not have interviewed everyone, I’m not sure. Overall psych is DO friendly and you shouldn’t have an issue matching, even with a blemish or two on your record—psych programs want to make sure your communication skills are great.
 
Actually I think the 73% for psych is real…
No I doubt it, it does not include those who matched psych after ranking a back up specialty in that data, the charting outcomes from 2020 show completely different data....
 
No I doubt it, it does not include those who matched psych after ranking a back up specialty in that data, the charting outcomes from 2020 show completely different data....
I mean, charting outcomes 2020 has an 84% match rate, 73% isn't terribly far off... I'm not really sure including people who also ranked a back up specialty really moves the needle as much as you are insinuating. The overall number of applicants increased and psych was one of the top 5 matched specialties for USMDs. So..... I mean, I would be pretty surprised if the true match rate for DO's to psych was north of 80%. A true DO match rate in the 70s is almost assuredly the case.
 
Hm, I found this one google. Not if I'm interpreting it correctly, but I'm going to post it and maybe you guys can take a look at it
 

Attachments

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean, charting outcomes 2020 has an 84% match rate, 73% isn't terribly far off... I'm not really sure including people who also ranked a back up specialty really moves the needle as much as you are insinuating. The overall number of applicants increased and psych was one of the top 5 matched specialties for USMDs. So..... I mean, I would be pretty surprised if the true match rate for DO's to psych was north of 80%. A true DO match rate in the 70s is almost assuredly the case.
An 11% drop in one year is crazy.. definetly the covid effect