Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ologist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the stronger gas residencies in CA. What are the not so strong ones? I'm a osteopathic 2nd year and i was wondering what i should aim for on my step 1 USMLE this summer. is 230 good enough? Where does the Step 1 score rank on importance for acceptance? Does class rank matter at all? I'm sorry this is jam packed with questions. any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't applied on the west coast, but from what I hear all the California programs are highly desired and sought after. I don't know if that answers your question about which ones are "strong", but I think you should just study your rear-end off and try to score as highly as possible on the Steps. This is good advice, generally speaking, no matter what you want to ultimately do for residency.

Sorry I can't more specifically answer your other questions.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
I haven't applied on the west coast, but from what I hear all the California programs are highly desired and sought after. I don't know if that answers your question about which ones are "strong", but I think you should just study your rear-end off and try to score as highly as possible on the Steps. This is good advice, generally speaking, no matter what you want to ultimately do for residency.

Sorry I can't more specifically answer your other questions.

-Skip

I agree just do the best you can. There have been a lot of applicants this year with 240 and above scores, if that helps. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
<---4th yr osteo student that is going for gas

as stated above, ROCK step 1 and you will be getting a lot of solid interviews.....of course there are programs out here that will shut you out (i.e. columbia) but f%ck em.....i am not too sure about west coast programs....but i do know they are in pretty high demand by some applicants this year (as are the NYC and Boston programs in the NE)......

and make sure you take USMLE (some ppl change their minds after COMLEX bc they are burnt out).......if you feel burnt, postpone it, but you should def take it by sept of your senior yr......(take step 1 as close to comlex 1 as you can so that all the minutia, like biochem, doesn't diffuse out of you during rotations)....

good luck....and def keep reading this board as a lot of advice/info on here is very helpful.... :thumbup:

JP2005 said:
<---4th yr osteo student that is going for gas

as stated above, ROCK step 1 and you will be getting a lot of solid interviews.....of course there are programs out here that will shut you out (i.e. columbia) but f%ck em.....i am not too sure about west coast programs....but i do know they are in pretty high demand by some applicants this year (as are the NYC and Boston programs in the NE)......

and make sure you take USMLE (some ppl change their minds after COMLEX bc they are burnt out).......if you feel burnt, postpone it, but you should def take it by sept of your senior yr......(take step 1 as close to comlex 1 as you can so that all the minutia, like biochem, doesn't diffuse out of you during rotations)....

good luck....and def keep reading this board as a lot of advice/info on here is very helpful.... :thumbup:

I don't think Columbia is ALL about your score. I know someone who had a pretty lower score than average and still got an interview. Just try to do you're best and get good letters, do away electives and shine get letters from them too and you'll be okay.

gasgodess said:
I don't think Columbia is ALL about your score.

I think he meant that they don't interview osteopathy students. :confused:

-Skip

I don't know if they have any in the program, but there was a guy interviewing with a 220 from the UMDNJ DO school.

I'm a DO student and interviewed at UCSF. My point, take the USMLE and if you do well, you will get good interviews. There are programs though that will not interview if you are a DO though

I had this conversation with a chair of a west coast program and his response can be paraphrased as follows:

top tier: Stanford, UCSF, UCLA

middle: UCSD, Loma linda, UC Irvine, UC Davis

This probably doesn't shock anyone...

didn't say columbia is all about score...but some places (like columbia, cornell) will shut you down bc of DO.....but i can be wrong about that as columbia did invite some DOs this yr.......

on another note...

just rock the test and apply widely.....you never know :thumbup:

JP2005 said:
didn't say columbia is all about score...but some places (like columbia, cornell) will shut you down bc of DO.....but i can be wrong about that as columbia did invite some DOs this yr.......

on another note...

just rock the test and apply widely.....you never know :thumbup:

I agee just do as good as you can on the exam and get good letters!