SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Residency questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by the prodogy, Mar 24, 2007.

1. the prodogy

the prodogy 7+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2007
    After med school, some students get their residency, but it's grueling and it doesn't pay well. If someone were to bypass this and instead of singing up for residency, they just applied for a job, what would they be missing out on? How much would those people that don't get do residency get paid? The thing is that, paying off your loan is something you'd definatly wanna do, and doing it while your doing your residency years will be incredibly hard. What options do you guys think is best?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!' Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2002
    All states require some form of postgraduate training in order to be licensed.

Many require at least 1 year, some require more than 1. 5 states specifically require that the first year be AOA-approved (either through an AOA-approve internship or an ACGME PGY1 year that is approved by the AOA)

If you were to skip postgraduate training completely ... you will not qualify for any medical licensure in any state in the US ... and thus cannot practice medicine (or osteopathic medicine) AKA you cannot be a practicing physician

Most residents with loans qualify for a loan deferral or forbearance while in residency ... check out the financial aid forum for more specifics

EDIT: If you were to do the bare minimum to get a license, your options will be limited as a practicing physician without finishing residency. Many hospitals will require you to be board eligible/certified (not talking about comlex/usmle but the boards for internal medicine, surgery, EM, etc) before granting you hospital priviledges (the right to admit people, d/c people, write orders, etc). Many insurance companies/HMO require that you be BE/BC (board eligible/board certified) in order to join that company's list of approved doctors. Many state's medicaid program require that the provider be BE/BC. I believe Medicare has similar provisions. Many consumers are "net savy" these days and will probably demand that their physician be BE/BC.

4. thanecyan

thanecyan 5+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2006
    MDApps:
    Honestly, it's extremely surprising to me that you think you can practice without doing residency.

Are you a freshman?

5. "When I was young I knew everything"

6. sia_simba

sia_simba Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2003
    NYC
    1. You cannot practice Medicine in the United States without doing a residency program.

2. If you do practice medicine without doing a residency its called "Assault and battery".

3. Enjoy!

7. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Some (few) people stop after getting their license. They can do doc-in-a-box work, i.e. see patients legally for cash, but it will be tough to find insurance companies that will allow them to join their networks.

8. Daddydoc

Daddydoc 10+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2005
    OP: The days of the GP are over. You need a residency to practice medicine. Maybe you should try shadowing a doctor?

9. Computer, recognize Commander Riker of the U.S.S. Enterprise. First-Officer's log, stardate 3522.1. Entry as follows:

If one wasn't required to do residency, the # of people becoming doctors would triple. :D

Computer, end First-Officer's log.

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    You can indeed practice without being residency trained. I know many people who are doing this now.

1. You won't be board certified and therefore could not be a member of any professional societies.

2. You won't be board eligible and therefore won't qualify for the 90%+ of jobs out there seeking BE/BC docs.

3. You will have a more difficult time securing reasonable malpractice insurance rates.

4. You will have a more difficult time collecting reimbursement from certain insurance companies and 3rd party payers.

So what do these people do? Most of them moonlight for a living. $70-$100/hour, often overnights and in the ER. Some open private practices and stuggle with certain things.

I dont think *any* state allows you to practice without at least one year of postgraduate training, some require up to 3. But NO, you do NOT need to complete a residency program, be board certified or even be board eligible to practice medicine in the US.

11. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    I bet you get all the girls.

12. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN

I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. I WILL NOT POST LEWD AND VULGAR COMMENTS ON SDN. :) :love:

Now please have a wonderful day.

13. Uh, I seriously suggest you edit this post of yours and let's get back to the thread topic. Otherwise there is going to be trouble here. I don't think you realize how 'vulgar' you're coming across, DoctorMom78.

14. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Trouble? What trouble? I don't really care how 'vulgar' I am coming across. Apparently, you consider talk about tattoos as being 'lewd'. SDN is meant to be fun as well as informative. Again, that post was a joke and obviously not meant literally. I just think you need to lighten up a bit and enjoy your life. You will end up having a masssive MI at 35 if you take everything so seriously. Life is good and fun and everything does not have to be so doom and gloom and taken seriously. Laugh a little. Have a wonderful day!:) :love:

No, back to the topic at hand.:D

15. Very well. If you don't edit your post about me I will be forced to bring the moderators into this :( . Let's not be childish.

16. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    I don't care if you do bring the mods in. I didn't personally attack you and I didn't swear and I didn't violate TOS. I said something in jest and you took offensive to it. I don't bear you any ill will. I just like to joke around.

I edited it, but you quoted me, so what I wrote is still there.:rolleyes:

Please...RELAX!!!! AND HAVE A VERY HAPPY, RELAXING, NOT SO STRESSFUL DAY!:)

17. I'm sorry but it's not good enough. :(
    It would be akin to me saying (and do forgive me here), "Someone should take DoctorMom78 out and [insert rude and vulgar comment here]." Please edit it until all references about 'doing something' to me are gone. Thank you.

18. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Even if you could do that, I wouldn't advise it. You will really learn a lot from your residency. Different states do have different requirements though about how many years you need to complete. I had a list once. If I can find it, I will post it for you.:) :luck:

19. jp104

jp104 Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2004
    NYC
    Is this an April fools post? lol :laugh: You need to get laid! How's that for offensive :)

20. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :laugh: Hey, it is April Fool's Day! I forgot about that.

21. Okay, I will make one final announcement and then I will report anything of this nature directed towards me, to the moderators. jp104, edit the part between your smilies okay?

22. jp104

Jan 18, 2004
    NYC
    Nope.

23. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LMFAO!!!! ROTFL!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

24. Okay. I have been forced to report you for a Terms Of Service violation, sorry.

25. Thanks, I appreciate it! :)

26. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LOL! You are welcome.:D

27. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    I don't think that is actually a violation of TOS. I am off to investigate...

Well, I can't find where the rules are posted, so I don't know. :laugh:

28. jp104

Jan 18, 2004
    NYC

Thank you! Have a nice day :love:

Oh yeah, and go get your freak on on Rigel 7! Capt Picard would approve.

(yeah I'm a closet nerd)

29. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    Its cool. They know me.

30. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LOL! I just want to say that the only reason I edited my post was because it obviously really offended him. My purpose on SDN is not to insult or offend other people. I don't think that I or anyone else on here said anything wrong or that was in violation of TOS and I really think that the response was a gross overreaction. But, if someone posted something that I didn't like and I asked them to remove, I would hope that they would have enough respect for my feelings to change it. So, it was out of my consideration of others that I changed my post, misguided as it may be...:smuggrin:

That said, I am taking JPHazelton and jp104 out for drinks and and strippers and tattoos and whatever else you want. Anyone else want to come? I'm buying!:laugh: :thumbup:

31. Seger

Seger 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Denton, TX
    Did you say Capt Picard or Capt Prickard :D

32. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    I thought it was spelled Prickhard....:rolleyes:

33. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    Let me put on my shoes and Im ready to go.

34. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    WOOT!!!!:laugh: :clap: :hardy: PARTY!!!!:D

35. Seger

Seger 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Denton, TX
    Only when taking jp104's advice

36. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

37. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 11, 2003
    where the heart is***
    :scared: :scared: :scared:

:laugh:

38. dr.kicia

Dec 11, 2003
    where the heart is***
    I seriously sugest you get some help...and i am not joking now.
    I hope you find peace within yourself:) <---not a sarcastic smiley.

39. dr.kicia

Dec 11, 2003
    where the heart is***
    if you are buying i will get a lap dance...blonds only with big boobs...otherwise i am staying home and will not bring this 10 liter bottle of polish bimber i am making in my basement :laugh:

40. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LOL! OK!!! Sounds good!:D :thumbup: :laugh:

41. Hindiana_Jones

Hindiana_Jones 10+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I love how this thread spiraled out of control.