Residency Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasPasser42

Reaction score
Hi there, applying for anesthesia residency this year and really struggling to determine the top of my rank list. I was hoping for thoughts and perspectives on a few of my top choices, including Duke, Colorado, and Hopkins.

My priorities are great training, in-house fellowships (considering CT vs CCM vs general), supportive admin, reasonable work-life balance, and CoL (have children). I would like strong cardiac, ICU, and regional training.

We have no particular region we want to be after training, nor any location we’d go to for family support. Cost of living is much lower in Durham, but we have a number of very close friends in Colorado, and employment is definitely stronger for my partner in Denver.

This decision would be easier if I had a clear intention to go to fellowship and stay in academic medicine, but I’m not sure and could also see myself in private practice. Could also see myself doing an MBA later and going into admin.

Do you think that there is an appreciable difference in the program and training between these residencies? Would it be silly to choose Colorado over these other “prestigious” options if fellowship, academic medicine, and administration might be in my future? Any particular thoughts about any of these programs?

**Realize that my fate is ultimately left to the algorithm, and would be happy at any of these programs, but also have to decide my preference!**

Members don't see this ad.

My priority.
1. Train where you are most likely settle down. You will make most connections that way.
2. COL (based on your list) if these are the only programs (basically top tier brands). Where you go don’t really matter a whole lot. They can all open doors.
3. The rank list really favorites you. So whatever you gut tells you is the right decision.

I would imaging that your training would be excellent at any of the places you listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Well colorado is currently on fire and durham sucks so...

TBH really can't go wrong with any of them

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved them all! Probably Duke the most, both program and people wise, but too close to call and really hard to get a sense with virtual interviews…CoL also definitely cheapest in Durham, followed by Baltimore and Denver far behind. Wondering how much weight to put into interview day perceptions, prestige, and program details (like call schedule, didactics, etc) versus just prioritizing being near friends or in a place we think we might want to settle down.

Loved them all! Probably Duke the most, both program and people wise, but too close to call and really hard to get a sense with virtual interviews…CoL also definitely cheapest in Durham, followed by Baltimore and Denver far behind. Wondering how much weight to put into interview day perceptions, prestige, and program details (like call schedule, didactics, etc) versus just prioritizing being near friends or in a place we think we might want to settle down.

Let me tell you that everything you think is important now is basically irrelevant

Train where you want to work imo

Reactions: 1 user
Let me tell you that everything you think is important now is basically irrelevant

Train where you want to work imo

You can get a job anywhere from any of those programs. Train where you want to live and where you think you’ll be happiest during training. Life is short. Residency is part of life too.

I disagree with some posters on SDN. Train at both a great program and a place you want to live for 4-5 years. This way all options are on the table after residency including fellowship and an academic career.

You shouldn't under-weigh where you want to settle down and otherwise live. 4+ years is a long time - may as well be in a place you like. All of those places will get you where you want to go training-wise.