Residency ranking: location or training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InterestedInPOD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search but didn't find any recent threads on the topic regarding where to go for residency. I understand it varies from person to person as not a single program fits all.

So I've been going back and forth between location and training. Location: closer to home and better weather, also the general area I think I will want to practice. This also gives opportunity to network with docs in the area for private practice. Training: big name program with more complex surgical procedures, with potentially better networking/recommendation for jobs at big HMO or orthogroup after residency, but this is not the area I want to settle down after residency.

Also between programs that take place at HMO such as Kaiser vs programs associated with a private hospital and many private practice attendings.

The question is did you rank residency program based on where you thought you want to practice at, such as if one want to work for a Kaiser he should try to do residency at Kaiser vs if one wants to do private practice, he should go to programs that give an opportunity to work with docs in private practice setting?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked a current student this question and he told me it is 50/50.

Assuming you're single, then I'd pick the best training program. No question. Your dating life will improve as your career does, but your dating life won't do jack for your career. Your career will last for the rest of your lifetime. Good training will open doors many places. You don't need to train where you want to practice (just network there by visiting offices and/or phone/email convos beginning in 2nd year of residency).

However, if you have a spouse (who you plan on staying with), then you obviously need to take their needs and concerns into heavy consideration (residency is tough enough, much less being apart from your spouse or having them bored in a new city while you work 60+ hours per week). If the residency programs in the area where you want to practice and your spouse has a social network are above average, then that may be your best bet.