Residency Reviews Side Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many full weekends off per 4 week block the residents get each year (not trying to slack off just want to get a feel for the scheduling).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not that I don't trust the above review, but I think a degree of skepticism is a healthy thing. Has anyone else interviewed there and heard similar things? I ask because both of the posters above have only been on SDN for one day making me wonder if they're the same person.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I don't trust the above review, but I think a degree of skepticism is a healthy thing. Has anyone else interviewed there and heard similar things? I ask because both of the posters above have only been on SDN for one day making me wonder if they're the same person.
:thumbup: Thought the same thing... one day, one post... sounds fishy. More confirmation by EXISTING members might lend credence to the claims but for now I'd suggest one very unhappy individual unless others that have been around for awhile feel similar

Well, "BoardingDoc" has 20 posts over nearly 4 years, which also doesn't say much, and most of QuackDO's posts have been concentrated in 3 threads in the EM forum, and not much elsewhere. My point is that there isn't enough on any of you to really know how reliable any of you are.

A traditional thing on SDN is that one person says something, then 2 or 3 others sign up and make their solitary post stating the opposite, and state that the first person is disgruntled. Lather, rinse, repeat.

A good example is Yale and malignancy - nearly every, if not every, year, across various disciplines, someone will say that Yale is malignant. Then, others pop up and say it isn't, and how it is great, and all that. However, it happens almost every year. Coincidence? I mean, I was at Duke, which is the definition of "malignant" if one is not a self-driven, focused, borderline sociopath, in which case it is not "malignant", but a "challenge". There was talk that the divorce rate among the general surgery residents was 120% (yes, 6 divorces per 5 residents).

Personally, having seen many, many posts like the above, these sound more credible than others. (And I have no connection to Methodist. I don't think I could even find it in Brooklyn anymore without looking it up.)

I don't really care how "reliable" any of us are. I simply wanted some form of verification that the two posts in question weren't written by the same person. Asking someone to comment who has been to Methodist and who has an established account decreases the chance that it will again be the same person (assuming that is even what happened in the first place).

Also, I agree that the original post sounded very credible. Knowing a bit about the area and the comments about LICH closing are all on the level. I have just been considering dropping my interview there as it is and wanted to pick people's brains a bit more.

I don't really care how "reliable" any of us are.

Well, on SDN, maybe you should. There is a critical mass of people that post here on SDN that are of the ilk of "I can't prove it, but I know it's true". They speak ex cathedris, and sound right even if black-letter wrong. There's one d-bag that gives bad advice all the time, without fail - this person will, reflexively, take the side of the management over the worker, no matter how outrageously unbalanced. This person is also remarkably resistant to any correction, substantiation, or acknowledgement of error. S/he is not unique.

A traditional thing on SDN is that one person says something, then 2 or 3 others sign up and make their solitary post stating the opposite, and state that the first person is disgruntled. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, that, although the first poster hasn't been described as "disgruntled", but the others have no notion as to what that person is saying.

I don't know why SDN doesn't show the IP addresses. I think a certain level of mod can do it; maybe @Lee can tell us!

Ehh...IP address will only give you the location of their internet service provider.

To get their identity you will need a court order. And it takes about 30 seconds to get a new IP address so it will not help people posting from multiple accounts.

Ehh...IP address will only give you the location of their internet service provider.

To get their identity you will need a court order. And it takes about 30 seconds to get a new IP address so it will not help people posting from multiple accounts.

Having seen this (again) many times (although not on SDN), a seeming few people release and recontract their IP address when posting as such. Whatever!

Well, "BoardingDoc" has 20 posts over nearly 4 years, which also doesn't say much, and most of QuackDO's posts have been concentrated in 3 threads in the EM forum, and not much elsewhere. My point is that there isn't enough on any of you to really know how reliable any of you are.

A good example is Yale and malignancy - nearly every, if not every, year, across various disciplines, someone will say that Yale is malignant. Then, others pop up and say it isn't, and how it is great, and all that. However, it happens almost every year. Coincidence? I mean, I was at Duke, which is the definition of "malignant" if one is not a self-driven, focused, borderline sociopath, in which case it is not "malignant", but a "challenge". There was talk that the divorce rate among the general surgery residents was 120% (yes, 6 divorces per 5 residents).

Personally, having seen many, many posts like the above, these sound more credible than others. (And I have no connection to Methodist. I don't think I could even find it in Brooklyn anymore without looking it up.)
Well, I guess it's definitely a safe assumption that you aren't my own special personal stalker if you think that most of my posts are concentrated in 3 threads here... which is a good thing, I don't want a stalker, lol! Point I'm making is that I've been active for over 4 years with more than 75% of my posts coming OUTSIDE of the three residency threads you refer to. Not justifying anything, just saying that if I started my account 4 years ago and posted over 100 different subjects in that time to now finally pull off my diabolical plan and pop in and refute the malignancy claims... well, I have damn sure got some good long term planning skills, lol! Just saying that single post posters that just joined yesterday should be taken with a grain of salt, no matter how credible the claims are. I don't know anything about the program and really honestly it doesn't matter too much to me but would like to hear from established member that have been around for awhile and we KNOW it's not their sole and explicit intent just to come on here just to refute things (true or not). Apparently my 4 years and 400(ish) posts (along with the fact that I'm not a resident there or know about the place first hand) don't qualify so was hoping that someone else who had been around for 5 years and had 500 posts (at least) would.

Sorry if my post reduced the credibility of chest compressions comments. Thought they were helpful. We are not the same person. It's bizarre to even write that. After reading the overblown, dare I say sycophantic remarks from the residents there, it's off my rank list. How can anyone refer to a Level II community program in Park Slope as the jungle? And I would not call upon Goldi Locks to make a point. I don't want attendings taking me out for drinks or treating me as an equal. I don't know enough to be their equal. I'm not their for martinis or to be part of the Brady Bunch. Why didn't they mention that they have one less resident during the interview day? Why didn't they fill the spot? How many attendings present at conference? What are the monthly M and M discussions like? How much time after shift are you documenting? What research has come out of the department? What are your off service rotations like and are they well supervised? Are the graduates getting a diversity of fellowships and jobs? How many attendings there would you trust to take care of you and your family? We've all worked hard. I don't want to take a chance with my professional career. I have to believe that comradery and kindness exists elsewhere. I wish everyone the best of luck. Different strokes and all that. Just ask the hard questions when you interview someplace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch! Easily hurt/offended? Or was the snark not snark, in your opinion?
Nope, it's called sarcasm, lol!
I really don't care one way or another honestly but was simply saying that your implication that my involvement with SDN has only been in 3 threads in the EM forum was wildly off base. I don't blame you for thinking such since those posts have been the majority of my posting recently, but definitely not the only posts I've made. Your comment was "My point is that there isn't enough on any of you to really know how reliable any of you are" which basically says that my 400 posts in 4 years isn't enough to know if I'm reliable as well as boardingdocs 22 posts in however long isn't good enough either. To each their own but I guess I don't know why either one of us being "reliable" was called into question since neither of us made a comment supporting/refuting the comments that were made... we both simply said the comments seemed fishy and asked for further opinions from established members. Point is that I'm not offended/hurt/or anything else by your comment... it really doesn't matter to me. What I didn't understand was the validity of your comment or even the point of it, hence why I questioned it.

Interviewed there last year and thought it was a great program.

Just fyi, if you want to gauge the program's interest in you after the interview: everyone receives an email afterwards thanking you for your visit and talking up the program, but only select applicants have a sentence at the end that states the program thought you were a great match and they would love to have you (and that's sincere, they really do plan to rank you highly).

Can anyone else confirm this last part is true? I interviewed here and was thoroughly surprised and impressed and planned to rank it highly, but I did not get that last sentence in my email.

Can anyone else confirm this last part is true? I interviewed here and was thoroughly surprised and impressed and planned to rank it highly, but I did not get that last sentence in my email.
Hmm... hope not cuz I didn't get that sentence either, lol.

I got a generic "We'd be pleased to have you join us in July" but I didnt read much into that.

Had a single, seemingly personalized sentence in the middle of the e-mail that mentioned my name and stated some interest in me as an applicant.

"We would be pleased to have you join us in July" started the last paragraph.

I really enjoyed visiting and learning more about this program and have to say it will be ranked very highly on my list; tons of great things about this place.

Last edited:
How long after your interviews did you get this email? I still have not received one at all- maybe that's a REALLY bad sign or something. Oh well..

If I remember
How long after your interviews did you get this email? I still have not received one at all- maybe that's a REALLY bad sign or something. Oh well..
If I remember correctly, the email came sometime the week after I interviewed but not sure if not getting an email is a bad sign or not. From the sounds of it though, if you did get an email, not getting a "We'd be pleased to have you join us in July" in your email is a bad sign, lol

This type of post-interview communication is all complete nonsense. Programs can do or say whatever they want. None of it is binding and none of it is worth worrying about. Thank, show interest, and rank every program you visit. Rank the programs in the order in which you want to attend them - it's that simple.

If I remember

If I remember correctly, the email came sometime the week after I interviewed but not sure if not getting an email is a bad sign or not. From the sounds of it though, if you did get an email, not getting a "We'd be pleased to have you join us in July" in your email is a bad sign, lol

I didn't get that phrase....just a generic email wishing me the best.

Seems odd they would spend that much time changing each email for each applicant. They interview a ton of people there.

Don't know if this is the right place to be posting this....but the current MS4 class needs to step up to the plate with some residency reviews. You've completed your externships and most of your interviews. If you want this board to be helpful, you need to contribute, even if anonymously. As I've offered before, i'll happily post on behalf of someone else who wishes to remain anonymous (so long as your post is reasonable).

Good luck this year.

Don't know if this is the right place to be posting this....but the current MS4 class needs to step up to the plate with some residency reviews. You've completed your externships and most of your interviews. If you want this board to be helpful, you need to contribute, even if anonymously. As I've offered before, i'll happily post on behalf of someone else who wishes to remain anonymous (so long as your post is reasonable).

Good luck this year.

I think more people will post after the rank list are finalized. I will.

Good luck this year.
Dang man, I don't know where/when you interviewed for residency but saying that "most" of your interviews have been completed is clearly not accurate. In fact, the consensus in the last 2 interviews I've been on (in the last week) just about EVERYONE said they were about at the midway point. NOBODY has said they are done or even only have a couple left. Sure, a few said they wished they only had a couple left, but this is "halftime" at best for a lot of people and expecting people to sit down and write cohesive, comprehensive reviews in the middle of interview season and post them (anonymously or not) is a little unreasonable. Next thing you'll be asking for is a rank order list thread by Christmas, lol! :) Calm down man... we'll get to it when the time is right, which is after interview season is over.

This type of post-interview communication is all complete nonsense. Programs can do or say whatever they want. None of it is binding and none of it is worth worrying about. Thank, show interest, and rank every program you visit. Rank the programs in the order in which you want to attend them - it's that simple.

Agreed 100%. I had a PD call me personally and tell me how great the interview went and how awesome an addition I would be to the program. End result, I ended up below this program on my ROL. Do not read into anything any program tells you. Rank in the order you want to go and don't even consider anything a program tells you post-interview. It is all a game.

Good luck this year.

I'm planning on writing some of mine out once my calendar calms down a bit. I will send them to you or another volunteer for anon-y-mouseness. We'll have to cross post reviews in a ROL thread/the 2014 EM res thread and the individual programs from that stickied thread so people can find them next year.