residency schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruthslayderginsberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, can someone post a schedule of a typical week of first year residency? thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Wasn't sure it was allowed to work that much

Wow. Wasn't sure it was allowed to work that much

Technically, you are supposed to work no more than 80 hours/week averaged across 4 weeks. Since we are taking care of people, we can't just leave their care hanging when the hours hit 80.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schedules vary so much based on which residency you are at, which rotation you are on, which month it is, and how busy things are that it is really hard to post a "typical" schedule for a week. Each program sets up their call schedule differently, and that can have a huge impact on what your week looks like. Some places have residents take call for a week at a time, some for a month at a time, some alternate every day, etc. I could try to give you a very general idea of what a week might look like for most first year residents, but I'm afraid it would be too vague to be of any worth to you. I can tell you what the schedule is of one of the interns at my program this past week: At the hospital between 4:30 - 5:00, rounds 5-6, academics at 6 a few days a week, otherwise clinic, surgery, or wound care until 4-5 with floor/ER consults scattered in. On call 1 night during the week which involves answering ER consults, calls on patients on the floor, covering add-on cases. Also happens to be on call this weekend which involves rounding Saturday and Sunday, covering weekend cases, and taking care of ER consults. I won't say that's a "typical" week, but it's an example.

If the ortho trauma service residents do it then the foot and ankle team does it too. People break bones and get diabetic foot infections 24/7. This is not a 6am-6pm job, at least here it isn't. The podiatry service is always busy between all the elective scheduled and then the trauma that comes in that is never ending at times. Then we have busy clinics and academics, etc. when it all adds up it's most definitely a lot.

We work closely with ortho trauma here and spend a total of 5-6 months on their service doing surgeries from head to toe and managing those pts on the floor. We also see these pts in the ED obviously and a lot are poly trauma pts so that's always fun and nerve wracking at the same time. The ortho trauma team here is the biggest on the east coast and we work closely with 4 of them who do lower extremity surgery. 1 being a F/A fellowship trained ortho, 1 is a Roy sanders fellow and another who was trained in limb lengthening and deformity correction through Mt Sinai in Baltimore.
It's very exciting knowing that podiatrist are getting the same training as other MDs during residency. Quick question, do you feel confident performing other surgeries besides lower limb? I heard that podiatrist can't treat anything beside the foot, unlike other medical physicians eventhough they have the knowledge to do so. You do upper limb surgery in residencies but it is prohibited to do any kind of surgery besides F/A after residency, doesn't that get on your nerves? Why can an f/a ortho is allowed to perform hand surgery leading to hospital calls and a podiatrist can't bec of a 2 year difference in residency? I think there should be an option for podiatrist to have an extended training in other regions of the body so they be more "equal" to ortho's. Based on ur experience and background, where do u think podiatry is going in the next 5 yrs?

It's very exciting knowing that podiatrist are getting the same training as other MDs during residency. Quick question, do you feel confident performing other surgeries besides lower limb? I heard that podiatrist can't treat anything beside the foot, unlike other medical physicians eventhough they have the knowledge to do so. You do upper limb surgery in residencies but it is prohibited to do any kind of surgery besides F/A after residency, doesn't that get on your nerves? Why can an f/a ortho is allowed to perform hand surgery leading to hospital calls and a podiatrist can't bec of a 2 year difference in residency? I think there should be an option for podiatrist to have an extended training in other regions of the body so they be more "equal" to ortho's. Based on ur experience and background, where do u think podiatry is going in the next 5 yrs?

Lmao.

Last edited:
It's very exciting knowing that podiatrist are getting the same training as other MDs during residency. Quick question, do you feel confident performing other surgeries besides lower limb? I heard that podiatrist can't treat anything beside the foot, unlike other medical physicians eventhough they have the knowledge to do so. You do upper limb surgery in residencies but it is prohibited to do any kind of surgery besides F/A after residency, doesn't that get on your nerves? Why can an f/a ortho is allowed to perform hand surgery leading to hospital calls and a podiatrist can't bec of a 2 year difference in residency? [...]
F&A orthopedists undergo a five year general orthopedics residency followed by a one year fellowship in F&A. The foot and ankle is the lesser focus of their training during general orthopedics, whereas that is the primary focus of our postgraduate education. No way would a podiatrist feel comfortable doing general orthopedic surgeries unless they had done an orthopedic residency (which is not currently permitted).

It's very exciting knowing that
podiatrist are getting the same training as other MDs during residency. Quick question, do you feel confident performing other surgeries besides lower limb? I heard that podiatrist can't treat anything beside the foot, unlike other medical physicians eventhough they have the knowledge to do so. You do upper limb surgery in residencies but it is prohibited to do any kind of surgery besides F/A after residency, doesn't that get on your nerves? Why can an f/a ortho is allowed to perform hand surgery leading to hospital calls and a podiatrist can't bec of a 2 year difference in residency? I think there should be an option for podiatrist to have an extended training in other regions of the body so they be more "equal" to ortho's. Based on ur experience and background, where do u think podiatry is going in the next 5 yrs?

this is kind of a ridiculous notion. What is the point of having podiatry if you're going to turn it into a half assed ortho residency? I'm not interested in doing hips any time soon. The only reason I would want to do other parts of the extremities in residency would be to practice surgical technique/AO principles.

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW there are 4 states that you legally can operate on the hand (look at the ACFAS scope of practice pdf) getting the privledges and training to actually do that, well that is another matter and highly unlikely.

Residency expect to work 80h weeks from what I heard. Residencies I have shadowed at they have commonly come in at 6am and not finish until 11pm. On the other hand there have been days I have shadowed the resident has been done around 3pm. There are some programs known to work crazier hours then others

Last edited:
Once, once time, one glorious morning we had no inpatients, no clinic, and no one paged me. I stayed home, slept in, and cooked a mean omelet when I woke up. I miss that day. I think about it often.

I would give up my left testicle to have an inpatient list of zero

One time I got it down to 4. Within 24 hours the list was up to 15 again. It's a never ending revolving door.