Opii

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
383
0
Status
Does anyone know if there is a Residency year offered in Canada?
Say UW or UM .. What areas of interest would be offered, peds, geriatrics, primary care, therapeutic optometry... etc.
The orms.org doesn't have any information on it so I suppose I'm looking for information from students from these schools.
Thanks. :)
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
Waterloo for sure has a few residency positions; peds, primary, and cornea/CL I think. I would likely caution against them though because when I interviewed at UW I asked about their residency programs and got a response along the line that "well....we're trying to improve our residencies." Needless to say, they didn't sound all that confident. I think one of the main problems is that UW's clininc has always had trouble getting patients to come in for care at their site. Although, some of the specialty clinics like peds probably does see more traffic since OD's occassionally refer patients to the university clinic. Overall, I just don't see many advantages at least to residencies at UW, few patients, restricted scope of practice, and I suspect you may need to be liscensed in Canada. Too bad UW doesn't publish any info on their residency programs online.
 

Opii

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
383
0
Status
jefguth said:
Waterloo for sure has a few residency positions; peds, primary, and cornea/CL I think. I would likely caution against them though because when I interviewed at UW I asked about their residency programs and got a response along the line that "well....we're trying to improve our residencies." Needless to say, they didn't sound all that confident. I think one of the main problems is that UW's clininc has always had trouble getting patients to come in for care at their site. Although, some of the specialty clinics like peds probably does see more traffic since OD's occassionally refer patients to the university clinic. Overall, I just don't see many advantages at least to residencies at UW, few patients, restricted scope of practice, and I suspect you may need to be liscensed in Canada. Too bad UW doesn't publish any info on their residency programs online.
Thanks for the information. You're right, I probably would have to take Canada boards.
 
About the Ads

Opii

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
383
0
Status
vtrain said:
If you're gonna do a residency, go to the states. period.
Yea, I wanted to have a change of pace but it might be more trouble than what I anticipated.
 

Canadian26

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
169
0
Status
Just a general question about residency. What is the advantage of doing it? Like is it more pay? do you get referals of pateints from OD's who dont have residency?
 

canuck_OD

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 4, 2002
32
0
Visit site
Status
Opii said:
Does anyone know if there is a Residency year offered in Canada?
Say UW or UM .. What areas of interest would be offered, peds, geriatrics, primary care, therapeutic optometry... etc.
The orms.org doesn't have any information on it so I suppose I'm looking for information from students from these schools.
Thanks. :)
Residencies at Waterloo from what I remember are NOT accredited programs. Don't confuse this with the OD program because the OD program is and always has been accredited.
 

vtrain

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
265
1
The other side of no where
Visit site
Status
Canadian26 said:
Just a general question about residency. What is the advantage of doing it? Like is it more pay? do you get referals of pateints from OD's who dont have residency?
It's more for self-confidence and interest. It might open more doors for you on the academic front but if you plan on doing commercial, forget about it. Residency does NOT equal more pay. Actually alot who do residencies go into academics, and pay is lower, so you might say that residencies will actually lead to less pay.
 

Opii

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
383
0
Status
vtrain said:
What sort of trouble?
Oh, I wouldn't say trouble. Just for my personal career plans, it wouldn't work out because I would never plan to stay. So the expense of boards and all for one year wouldn't work for me. I was just considering a change of pace, different patients to see, but I totally forgot about Canadian boards. Duh :rolleyes: I've had enough with NBEO, thanks. :p
Just hear Canada is nice. I'll just have to go visit without the residency :laugh:
 

Opii

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
383
0
Status
Canadian26 said:
Just a general question about residency. What is the advantage of doing it? Like is it more pay? do you get referals of pateints from OD's who dont have residency?

I suppose the advantages would be: academically eligable for a teaching position, and/or further educate yourself in a specialty, say Low Vision, Vision Therapy, Specialty Contact Lenses, Hospital based optometry. Maybe a few referals from collegues but nothing to bring up your income by much.
You don't have to do one to learn a specialty, it just facilitates the learning experience. Another option is to find an OD to work for with that specialty, and work for them.
About Pay: I don't think you would improve your chances much for better pay. on the contrary. you would be accepting a year of very low pay (about $27,000) for the year and then make about the same afterwards. Or if you teach that would be less pay. I suppose it would be for personal satisfaction most of all. I have another year to think about it.
 
About the Ads