Residency spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wick215

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although it goes against the rules of ERAS, do programs offer spots early? Any stories???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it happens anymore, but a resident at a community hospital told me that he was offered a pre-match contract during the match process that allowed him to sign out of the match. Also, it's important to note that even if a program tells you that they expect to be seeing you next year because you are their type of resident (which is technically illegal), don't be surprised if you don't match there next year even if you rank the program no. 1 as some program's have been known to purposely mislead applicants so that they will rank their program higher on their list so that they can ensure that the program gets the best applicants possible (while screwing the people who they actually rank lower then they say that they will).

My dad got his residency under the table so to speak....but that was 18 years ago.

Programs that participate in the NRMP are allowed to offer spots outside of the match but only to Independent Candidates - ie, IMGs, graduated physicians or DOs applying for allopathic residencies. The NRMP was going to stop this practice this year but I am told that it is still allowable for at least one more year.

Programs do not do this on a formal basis - offers are generally made to people who have rotated at a certain program and expressed interest. There is no application procedure for it.

Interesting, thank you all for your reply.