Residency start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student and trying to plan when to get married. I want to get married in early June if possible, so can any newly matched ms4s tell me when the first day of residency will start?

I was hoping to honeymoon until June 20th but is that going to be after most programs start?

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard some programs starting in late june because of "orientation" or whatnot. depends on the program, i would say.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a third year medical student and trying to plan when to get married. I want to get married in early June if possible, so can any newly matched ms4s tell me when the first day of residency will start?

I was hoping to honeymoon until June 20th but is that going to be after most programs start?

If you matched at my program you would be right at the beginning of orientation with that start date.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is highly program dependent. Some programs start in mid June with orientation and many start rotations prior to July 1. You won't know until well after the match what day is the first day you need to show up. Be very cautious about planning anything beyond early June.

Remember there is a lot of last minute stuff to deal with before starting residency including moving to a new location. Most people find having some time to get settled helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Get married on the border of May and June, and take the first week of June for your honeymoon. You'd be surprised how early some residencies start with orientation stuff. I wouldn't feel comfortable planning anything in the 2nd or later weeks of June. 1st week of June will probably be fine.

Some programs start orientation in the 3rd week of June so honeymooning until June 20th may be pushing it.

Reactions: 2 users
I start 2nd week of June! I think you'd be much safer with April/may. You'll have plenty of time to plan it if you do your schedule right

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I wanted to get married on June 13th exactly because that is when my grandparents and my parents both got married. I guess I should kiss that goodbye and get married right after graduation.

Thanks again!

Yeah due to the calendar this year it seems like 6/16 is a popular start date as a lot of programs now like to cram in 2 full weeks.

I'd agree with the crowd. Plus as a newlywed potentially moving to a new town you guys will want a week or two to get settled in to your new place/life - not to fly back from your honeymoon and start the next day.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah my program you'd have to come home early. We start June 16

I'm starting June 12. Had to cancel the end of a prebooked vacation.

Stupid residency. Already messing up my plans. I'm not sure how much more of this BS I can take.

Reactions: 1 user
All these idiots are giving you the wrong advice. The right advice is don't get married.