Residency Swap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we make a Sticky: "Official Swap Thread" on SDN? With the match process being pretty random, there might be some interest in exploring potential swaps due to personal/family reasons, etc (either now or future), and we could avoid making monthly payments to those other swapping websites!

Not sure how often successful swaps occur but still might be useful

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
could also be a nice to have a place to post open positions as they come up

How legit is it to swap a residency spot? Purely curious. I laughingly discussed this with another student but we thought it was an impossibility/would require giving up 1st child/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
if someone is in city x derm and wants city y, and someone else happens to want the opposite, i don't see how that's unfathomable :rolleyes:

There has got to be more to it than just swapping with another resident.

Well obviously it's ultimately up to the PDs at each place, but you have to start somewhere. People I know if other fields who have done swaps successfully have had very compelling family reasons for changing programs.

Both programs have to sign off. I don't know of anyone that has swapped successfully. I do know of several people who moved to a new program for compelling family reasons, but only into spots that happened to open up and would have filled with a person out of the match. The vacated spots were not filled by anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that is a good idea. I am possibly looking to swap for a personal reason. Love the program I matched to but my SO matched in a different city :( We tried to couples match but ranked every combo and we ended up separated.

Does anyone have an update on this? My husband and I couples ended up matching on opposite sides of the country and I was wondering if anyone has swapped successfully or has any advice? Thanks!!

yes, this is possible. just need someone else with the same PGY and PDs will talk it out (usually in your favor).