residency training? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stolid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how intense is the residency for psych.? I guess what I really mean is what is the average hours a resident works a week? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

stolid said:
how intense is the residency for psych.? I guess what I really mean is what is the average hours a resident works a week? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Varies tremendously! Workload depends on your location, the number of residents in the program, what sort of patients you get, the number of patients you see, how much the program depends on the residents to treat patients (i.e. shortage of attendings).....etc etc etc. And your internship months in medicine may be completely different than the rest of the time in psychiatry.

You'll have to ask at the programs you're interested in.

ditto to above...it varies on the program and year of training. As for myself at the present moment. I'm a PGY-2 rotating on an inpatient unit with some clinic half-days and call about twice a month. I would say I probably work 50 hours per week (no more than 60 and as little as 40).

Psych residency is great for work hours by comparison....