Residency Types for MD/PhDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing my PhD this year, and I have just been accepted to medical school for fall 2006. I am interested in knowing more about the types of residencies that those of you with both degrees have chosen. Are there certain residencies, post-docs, and fellowships meant specifically for people with MD/PhDs? Or do you just compete for regular residencies with straight MDs who are research-oriented?

Members don't see this ad.

Classicly, residencies which have historically attracted MD/PhDs are:

Internal Medicine Fast Track Research Residencies (see thread below)
Pediatrics Fast Track Residencies (rarer)
Pathology (very MD/PhD / research friendly)

Fast tracks are designed to cut out time so that you can move on to your research career.

There are some residency programs specifically designed for research that are appealing to mudphuds, but I am not familiar with a particular program that is exclusive to MD/PhD grads.
:laugh:

istockphoto_1324697_zombie.jpg

Check the original post date!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno, this thread is still...

2000455272489756911_rs.jpg

Not that I can be of much help. In my chosen field it doesn't really seem like there are research residencies. There's 1 program with an official research track that pulls out a year of electives and makes them research and maybe 1 other that offers that unofficially or a few programs that unofficially offer less time for research, but it all seems so informal and most of my mentors (even the MD/PhDs!) advise against me doing it.

There is the: http://www.theabr.org/RO_Holman.htm but it seems like almost only the Radiation Oncology residents are doing this. I'm going to look into it again, but the feedback I've received in the Rads forums have been negative about doing this or even suggesting it.

Bwahahahah, I posted this thread almost a year before I even began medical school. :)

To QofQuimica from two years ago: a really good book you might want to read is "Getting into Residency" by Iserson, which discusses different fields and tracks. Wait another month or two until you go to your Pritzker interview, and your student host there will loan it to you. :laugh:

I'm not an MD/Phd but
I did work for a couple of years before med school in the lab. My PI was an MD/PhD her training was in Ophtho, her husband, also and MD/PhD was Neuro. I think both Neurosurg and Neurology are very research orientated fields.

I'm not an MD/Phd but
I did work for a couple of years before med school in the lab. My PI was an MD/PhD her training was in Ophtho, her husband, also and MD/PhD was Neuro. I think both Neurosurg and Neurology are very research orientated fields.

My PhD will be in neurobiology and I'm very interested in neurosurgery. Granted, it's a long program to follow an already long program. But...I figure I've already been in school my whole life, so what's a few more years?