Residency vs BCPS after 3 years...in the current market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sde780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current P2 student interning at a 500+ bed hospital, in a smaller college town with population of around 20-30k. I plan to graduate with <$50k in loans.

Given the current job market, what are your opinions on looking for a job straight out of school vs pursuing a residency?

I'm leaning towards staff pharmacist at a hospital after graduation and getting my BCPS in the future, partially because a new pharmacy school recently opened in my state and I intend to stay here after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a staff pharmacist for 2 years now and I am going for residency and not BCPS. Residency is more risky for sure, but you are young, hopefully smart and hard working and if there is a time to take a risk, It's now. The way I see it residency opens a lot of doors to do something you really feel challenged and interested in. while if you staff, sooner or later your job would be just about a paycheck and if things turn south for the profession, a younger, residency trained, cheaper grad is going to replace you.

I'm a current P2 student interning at a 500+ bed hospital, in a smaller college town with population of around 20-30k. I plan to graduate with <$50k in loans.

Given the current job market, what are your opinions on looking for a job straight out of school vs pursuing a residency?

I'm leaning towards staff pharmacist at a hospital after graduation and getting my BCPS in the future, partially because a new pharmacy school recently opened in my state and I intend to stay here after graduation.

I would say residency for sure, in addition to BCPS.

My question is where did you go to school for such a low tuition. I would like to apply? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Experience will always beat a residency.

I've heard a lot of folks say that a fair number of institutions are starting to prefer residency trained individuals for staff pharmacists. And with the influx of new graduates and increase in residency graduates, most institutions can afford to be picky about it. As someone on here said (I apologize, I don't remember exactly who), "why would a hospital take a new grad when they can take a residency trained pharmacist that another hospital has worked the kinks out in" (paraphrased).

That being said, there is nothing wrong with forgoing the residency and doing a BCPS later, but residency may make it easier to get a staff position.

But if you're still in your P-2 year, I'd wait and see what your preceptors on fourth year rotations advise (I'm sure you've already asked around at the hospital you currently work at). You've still got plenty of time left to decide though, so don't stress too much over it.

Personally residency = foreplay and BCPS is the after party. The more the better. Choose wisely or risk the ball and chain. Both.

Personally residency = foreplay and BCPS is the after party. The more the better. Choose wisely or risk the ball and chain. Both.

and u had trouble explaining what a grad intern is...

I would say residency for sure, in addition to BCPS.

My question is where did you go to school for such a low tuition. I would like to apply? :cool:

Live with my parents + in-state tuition + scholarships. Worked as a delivery driver in high school and 2 years of undergrad, saved up close to $10k. I also had around $10k in refund checks from scholarships throughout undergrad (2 years) saved up. Several of my scholarships are paid over 4 years so they are covering 2 years of pre-reqs + partially P1 and P2 year. P3 and P4 years will cost the most for me - I expect to borrow a total of ~$30k, which will make up most of my loans. I also took out as much federal subsidized loans as I could ($10k) and invested that in real estate, bringing my total expect debt to $40k if everything goes to plan.

I'm somewhat confident that I can get a staffing position at my current hospital upon graduation, but that's not to say the situation won't change in the next 2 years. The intern/residency director obviously wants to steer me into doing a residency, but my main concern is the glut of new graduates from the recently opened pharmacy school affecting the local job market. We have been relatively recession-proof and have hired several new pharmacists in the past year alone, but I'm afraid this won't be the case with an additional 80 Pharm.Ds looking for jobs by the time I graduate.

I have also been looking into working at discharge pharmacy where the pharmacist rounds with patients pending discharge and fills their scripts to take home - this seems like a great balance between retail and hospital, and doesn't require residency. Hope they are hiring in two years! :)

Why not go for a residency and get your BCPS?

I'm also a staff pharmacist and in a similar situation. I too feel residency is very risky and does NOT guarantee a job after completion of a year or two of residency. Even so, I don't want to give up and have to try because there is no better time to take a big risk than now; even if my chances are not very good.

I am a staff pharmacist for 2 years now and I am going for residency and not BCPS. Residency is more risky for sure, but you are young, hopefully smart and hard working and if there is a time to take a risk, It's now. The way I see it residency opens a lot of doors to do something you really feel challenged and interested in. while if you staff, sooner or later your job would be just about a paycheck and if things turn south for the profession, a younger, residency trained, cheaper grad is going to replace you.

residency is a great experience if one can afford to take the time. i wish i could have. ... bcps is becoming more common as the exam is not just one day a year and seems a way to get people to pay for very expensive CEs.
on a side note.... if anyone wants to purchase the 2013 bcps materials (electronic form), please pm.
i am not charging a lot just trying to offset some of the cost. thank you