Residency without Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aan298

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am an M4 and will be applying to radiology this year. I am worried about matching into a "good" program because I do not have any research. I really loathe research and I was told as an M1 that medical school is unlike college in that you do not have to "pad" your resume. I found out that was completely false in third year when I realized everyone had joined clubs and was doing research so they can have something to put down on their applications. I spent my time learning medicine the best I can (which is what i thought you were supposed to do in med school) and I got a 257 on step 1 and 265 on step 2 (not bragging by any means, just want to paint a clear picture of my application). I spoke to a DR program director and she told me not to bother applying to any big name programs because they would not even consider me without any research.
a) Is what she said true?
b) does anyone else feel like we are applying to college/med school all over again with having to do all the research and extracurricular etc. are we not past all that?

I've worked really hard and I just want some other options before the start of the applications cycle and see what I can do at this point. For context, I live in the NYC/NJ area. I appreciate your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

I am an M4 and will be applying to radiology this year. I am worried about matching into a "good" program because I do not have any research. I really loathe research and I was told as an M1 that medical school is unlike college in that you do not have to "pad" your resume. I found out that was completely false in third year when I realized everyone had joined clubs and was doing research so they can have something to put down on their applications. I spent my time learning medicine the best I can (which is what i thought you were supposed to do in med school) and I got a 257 on step 1 and 265 on step 2 (not bragging by any means, just want to paint a clear picture of my application). I spoke to a DR program director and she told me not to bother applying to any big name programs because they would not even consider me without any research.
a) Is what she said true?
b) does anyone else feel like we are applying to college/med school all over again with having to do all the research and extracurricular etc. are we not past all that?

I've worked really hard and I just want some other options before the start of the applications cycle and see what I can do at this point. For context, I live in the NYC/NJ area. I appreciate your responses.
There is a stickied what are my chances thread that would be a more appropriate place for this question...

There are other factors to your app that are important for offering the most realistic prediction including: 3rd year grades, medical school ranking, AOA, any other ECs, URM status, etc. That being said you will likely have difficulty matching a "top 10" program with zero research or extracurriculars. Wash U will probably give you an interview maybe Mayo. That being said there's no harm in applying if that's what you really want. Regardless you should still match to a good academic program.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't think research was a big deal until I noticed on residency explorer that very few residents have no research experience at most programs. I'm have good stats but I'm a DO so I'm not applying to the top programs anyways. I think clinical performance, test scores, and class rank should be more important than publishing papers that only a handful of people ever read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda echoing what @bigt1mer said, I think the main places that want research are the top programs, which are research powerhouses, and they want residents who will continue to foster a research-heavy environment. There are plenty of excellent programs out there that do not place as much emphasis on it if you don't have any research experience.

Don't let not having research stop you from applying to a program you might actually want to attend though, you never know.

The BIG NAME places all want research. Once you're out of the top 10-15 programs there are numerous great programs that don't really care very much.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't like or want to do research, there is no significant benefit that comes from going to a "top" program vs a solid academic program. That said, some of the top programs will still take some residents without research interests. Going by the economic assault on radiology in recent years, we need individuals with political and economic savvy and who will help protect our interests. Even top programs know this too.

Does this research need to be rads specific? For example, how would chart review in NSG or basic science papers be looked upon?

You can answer this question for yourself by looking on each top program's website and searching each resident on PubMed. You will be pleasantly surprised at how many residents have no publications from medical school.