Residency, Working long hours, USMLE....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chandler

24 hour Call
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question for the residents on here that have gone through the process. How do you find time during internship to squeeze in Step 3? Do you use a vacation day or a personal day?

Also, are there any prometric centers that offer sunday testing days? This would be very helpful because then you can just take step 3 during sat and sunday.

Thank you very much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is ELECTIVE TIME. The most efficient use of your time is to use an elective month to study for the boards during your free time. Choose a light elective (e.g. radiology or "research elective" otherwise known as vacation-with-credit) that allows you to leave at a reasonable time, and spend the afternoons and weekends studying. Then, take a couple of weekdays off to take the test. (Yes, you are allowed to take weekdays off during ELECTIVE months for reasonable things such as moving or taking the boards.)

You can, of course, also study for and take the exam during VACATION time -- but that means ruining your vacation. An elective month is ideal.

Some programs have "educational days" which usually have to be taken on non-call months and allow you to take Step 3 and do other things like that.

I'm taking it during my outpt month in August.

deleted...sorry read question wrong!

I just registered for it and told my administrative chief when the exam was and he arranged the schedule so I wasn't on call or post-call. I think the program is required to give you time off for the exam - some may require you to do it during an elective, but it doesn't have to be a weekend (and I don't think Prometric centers are open on Sunday).

For us the two days come out of our 5 "personal days" for the year. I arranged mine at the end of July and will be taking it on a Friday and a Saturday so that I only lose one PD...