Residency worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reboa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m worried that the program I matched into isn’t going to prepare me adequately. I’m at a world renowned institution that surprised us on day 2 of residency by telling us they’re cancelling the program. It’s to the point it feels like I’m just a a warm body filling a role Any advice? It’s starting to negatively impact my well being.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Adequate preparation is clinical experience. If you continue to have access to boatloads of patients with highly variable pathology, with access to attending physicians who are engaged and enthusiastic and experienced, and if your training makes you a strong clinician despite (or because of) your training being difficult and uncomfortable and exhausting, then your preparation for practice is great.

Regardless, yes, you got screwed, but you have choices. You can turn it into an opportunity to maximize your clinical training, by taking advantage of there being fewer residents diluting your access to experiences. You can try to transfer into an R2 spot by looking at AAFP and elsewhere for openings. Sometimes there are R1 transfer spots. Use this bad experience to build resilience and create your network for the future.

Last edited:
Where on the aafp website is information about open spots?