Quantcast

Residency

Application is now open for MD & PhD 2022 Intake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levski

Reaction score
I am entering the GEM UCD 2018 class in September. I am already starting to stress about matching back to North America after browsing some of these threads. It would be really helpful to me if anyone gave me their experienced advice having gone through this process, and helping me take the right steps to ensure I get the residency of my choice.

Some background info about me:
-applied to Canada once, and was rejected pre-interview everywhere.
-33 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, research experience.
-Western Biomed Graduate
-EU citizenship

What is the process like for applying for residency in Canada, the US and in Europe? Which exams do I have to take? What advantage does having an EU citizenship give me? Where in Europe are my chances greatest at attaining a residency? What should I do during my summers? When do you apply for a residency? How many residencies can you apply to?

My knowledge on the process is very limited, and I want to make sure I understand it perfectly before I start medical school. If anyone can answer any of those questions, or provide me with a link to read up, I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users

Fathead Minnow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the process like for applying for residency in Canada, the US and in Europe?
In Canada you match to residency through CaRMS which is a computer generated matching system with matches medical students to programs based on how the program ranks the medical student and how the medical student ranks the program. In the EU you will just apply to be an intern during your final year of medical school.

Which exams do I have to take?
Canada: LMCCEE and LMCCQE1
EU: You need to pass your final exams
USA: you have to you USMLE step 1 , 2 , and 3

What advantage does having an EU citizenship give me?

Having an EU citizenship will give you an advantage over non-EU classmates when applying to internship programs in the EU. It will also make you life a heck of a lot easier when you fly into and out of the EU for the next 4 years

Where in Europe are my chances greatest at attaining a residency?
I am not sure about this but most likely in the country you trained in

What should I do during my summers?
Electives in the areas you are interested in ( i would recommend doing electives in family medicine at some point because this area is your best chance of matching to in Canada/USA)

When do you apply for a residency?
You apply for residency in your final year of medical school

How many residencies can you apply to?

you can apply to as many residency programs that you are willing to fly to for interviews

Sincerely,
Fathead Minnow (TCD 2102 graduate, FMR2)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.