Resident Insurance Question? Include Parents?

Started by MPDO20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MPDO20

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be starting residency in July. I was wondering, is there an option to cover parents as well too? I am married, so Myself + wife + parents..can parents be covered?

Has anyone heard of this? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe only spouses/domestic partners (depending on state) and dependents can be covered under your health insurance plan.

However--you should talk to the HR department at your program--they can give you the best answer as all insurance plans are different.
 
If they're your dependent it should be easy. If not, well, then no. That means they live at your house and you provide more than 50% of their support. I'm guessing you're not doing that as a resident. They also can't have taxable income of more than about $4K. See this link

http://blog.eindividualhealth.com/health-insurance/who-is-a-“dependent”-for-health-insurance-plans

Qualifying Relative – A Qualifying Relative must meet all of the following:

- Is not a Qualifying Child

- Is a relative of the employee, or has the same principal place of abode as the employee and is a member of the employee’s household

- Has gross income under the personal exemption amount for purposes of computing taxable income ($3,650 for 2010; $3,750 for 2011) (see exception below)

- Receives more than half of his or her support from the employee