Resident Retreat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BringBackScrubs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros and cons of having medical students come to resident retreat?

Members don't see this ad.

The point is for the residents - only - with the PD. Med students should not be privy to the nuts and bolts that are not education. What if they go somewhere else for residency (likely)? At best, all they heard was useless in the new place (like how much scut the 2nd years do on ortho, for example). At worst, there is incompletely remembered (and, thus, rumored) and incompletely recalled invective. Also, the faculty evaluations would be best not spread beyond those evaluating.

We played poker and sat in the hot tub (and went out drinking). We did the resident stuff, and got it done. Med students would have been bored (beyond silly).

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how it works other places, but it's essentially the only day when all the residents are available at once. It will probably never happen again throughout the entire year. It should be a time for people to get to know one another and have at least one common experience that makes you feel like you belong.

Having medical students at that would defeat the purpose for the residents and probably annoy the medical students, who would feel pseudo-obligated to attend to "show interest."

Pros: none, so far as I can tell.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NO students allowed.

At our resident retreat, I slapped one of our interns for saying something very unkind to a senior resident.
I actually gave him a good "four across the face" for it. Back of the hand. Properly done.
He freaked out, and was going to escalate violence.
I sat down (we were all hammered) and said: "Take one across my face. Go ahead. Its only fair."
He wound up and gave me a good'n.
"Good pop, kid" came my response. Spat out a bit of blood.
The next morning, we all woke up and mulled about.
OtherBuddy looked at me and said: "I don't know how you handled that so well. Jesus, man."
Intern learned that he needed to pipe down. We're still good buddies.

This actually got back to our department head.
I remember being called in to the office to explain the behavior and the whole situation.
He said something like "the resident retreat is designed to inspire togetherness and robble robble robble."
I said: "Sure. He said something he shouldn't have. I slapped him. He slapped me. Settled. Problem?"
Department head was like: "Nope. Now get back to work."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
NO students allowed.

At our resident retreat, I slapped one of our interns for saying something very unkind to a senior resident.
I actually gave him a good "four across the face" for it. Back of the hand. Properly done.
He freaked out, and was going to escalate violence.
I sat down (we were all hammered) and said: "Take one across my face. Go ahead. Its only fair."
He wound up and gave me a good'n.
"Good pop, kid" came my response. Spat out a bit of blood.
The next morning, we all woke up and mulled about.
OtherBuddy looked at me and said: "I don't know how you handled that so well. Jesus, man."
Intern learned that he needed to pipe down. We're still good buddies.

This actually got back to our department head.
I remember being called in to the office to explain the behavior and the whole situation.
He said something like "the resident retreat is designed to inspire togetherness and robble robble robble."
I said: "Sure. He said something he shouldn't have. I slapped him. He slapped me. Settled. Problem?"
Department head was like: "Nope. Now get back to work."
I would literally have paid $100 to see this. Was this PB?

I would literally have paid $100 to see this. Was this PB?

Dunno what you mean by BP.

Lets leave it at this: We all went camping near a big lake.
Butters got out of line. The slap got him back in line.

Absolutely not, resident retreat is sacred.

Hell no. No med students at a resident retreat

Dunno what you mean by BP.

Lets leave it at this: We all went camping near a big lake.
Butters got out of line. The slap got him back in line.
There are times that a little physical negative reinforcement is very effective

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
57571C3C-4321-49E2-B04F-FEBB642B55C5.png

Sorry, my mind immediately came to this meme.