resident salary enough for a couple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.

I am an IMG and I accepted a prematch offer in a NY program. The salary for a PGY1 is $55,450 . My question is is this going to be enough for me and my wife till she finds a job (after sorting out her visa issues-which may take some time)?
I have no student loans/debt since I am an IMG.

This issue is really bothering me. Any answers would be appreciated!
thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

NYC? Expensive living. But not having lived there myself I have no true knowledge of how feasible it would be. I have heard stories of residents in NYC sharing 4 or 5 to an apartment with bunk beds because it was so expensive.

Other places in NY state? likely fine if you're frugal.

Thanks for the reply.

But it's in the Long Island area....

and I know it is really tough for american grads since you guys have so much of student debt! So I am guessing that the stories you were hearing were of American Grads?

This was before residents were required to pay on their loans during residency. NYC is a VERY VERY expensive place to live.

Try an internet search for rentals on Long Island. Or get hold of current residents to see where they live. That will give you more of a clue than I would. :)

you can definitely do it but you have to be VERY VERY careful with your money. maybe a bastement studio or something like tha.

i'm a medical student and i'm living on loans in nyc. i spend about and im about ~25k a year

Hello guys.

I am an IMG and I accepted a prematch offer in a NY program. The salary for a PGY1 is $55,450 . My question is is this going to be enough for me and my wife till she finds a job (after sorting out her visa issues-which may take some time)?

thank you!!

Can it be done? Sure. Are you going to live like paupers? Absolutely. You will probably pay about 20k in taxes, another 20k in rent, 5k in food, 5k in utilities and transportation (more if you have a car), leaving 5k for other misc expenses. Don't expect to save, travel, dine out, buy people gifts. We are talking lots of pasta and other cheap home cooked eats, and riding public transportation, and living in scrubs, and living in a small apartment in a neighborhood that has seen better days, etc.

Get in touch with the program and see if they have a realty office or some sort of subsidize housing (maybe you've already tried this). I know people that live in hospital-subsidized housing in the upper east side of manhattan that pay $550/month for a room in a share apartment, which is insanely cheap considering my "subsidized" housing there was $900/mo. Long Island isn't as expensive as manhattan (and technically long island isnt considered NYC just FYI). Anyways if your significant other will have any sort of income you can make it work with $55k starting on your end.

Hi OP

Most NY hospitals have their own townhouses for their residents. These are generally subsidized. Although a total income of 55K per year may not offer a comfortable living if you have to survive on a single income, it can certainly provide you a good start. Additionally, a NY residency will also provide you excellent chances for future opportunities.

Even if you have to invest some money in the beginning, it would be well worth the effort in the long run.

Long Island is an absolutely beautiful place to have a family and to raise children. Once your wife gets a job, you could have a very nice living.
Nassau county medical center (East Meadow), not sure if this name is changed now?, Long Island Jewish, and Stonybrook are all located in nice areas of Long Island. One can take the Long Island RR to the city. Absolutely pristine white sand beaches are within reach (Sunken Meadow park comes to mind). Great apple orchards and Vineyards (Duckwalk Vineyard) within driving distance. A great place to live overall.

Go for it!

Last edited:
Hello guys.

thank you!!

is that from stony brook?