resident supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spaslam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does your program handle resident supervision? Does your program director or chairman supervise residents directly? How often do you have time with supervisors?

We typically are given one hour per week with our supervisor. Both our program director and chairman supervise residents. Some residents use the option each week; I would guess most use it 2-3x/month. On specific rotations we get more supervision than others.

When on call do you discuss/see every patient with an attending? We did not in the past, but we are supposed to now. I think it definitely has its pros and cons; some cases are slam dunk admits or discharges, others I definitely like discussing the case with the attending. Curious to hear what other programs are like!

Members don't see this ad.

It really varies a lot of the rotation, the year of training, and the program. For example, in my general psych residency -

First year, I was supervised daily for 20-30 min on the inpatient unit.
Second year inpatient units I was supervised twice weekly for an hour and in the IOP, also twice weekly for an hour. My long-term therapy cases each had a 1 hour supervision weekly. My overnight call I had to present the new admissions to the units to the unit attendings.
Third year on the outpatient side I had nine :eek: supervisors weekly, two psychodynamic, one IPT, one CBT, one psychopharm, one psychotherapy/psychopharm, one TFP, one child/adolescent therapy supervisor, & one psychotherapy intake supervision (group case presentation and treatment planning). This was in addition to the psychotherapy and psychopharm intake supervisors who directly observed our intakes weekly, and the group family therapy supervision that occurred weekly for 4 months. I also had to present each patient I saw in the ER (one day a week) to the ER attending in person, and on ER night float I had to present each morning all the new ER cases to the team.
Fourth year, I had four supervisors who I met with for one hour weekly - one psychodynamic, one TFP, one psychopharm, and one child supervisor. On C/L I had two supervisors - liaison service for 1 hour/wk, and off-site C/L supervisor also 1 hour per week of directly observed patient interview and case discussion.

Now in child fellowship, I have 3 supervisors who I meet with weekly (one mostly therapy, one mostly meds & therapy, and one for family therapy), as well as twice weekly directly observed intakes with another set of supervisors. I'm actually a big fan of directly observed supervisions and bringing in videotapes of sessions for discussion. As I'm moving onto the child inpatient units in a month, I'm trying to get them to structure the supervision more concretely... more one hour of interviewing a patient and discussing the case, less rambling diatribes and anecdotal stories for years of past. We'll see how successful I am.

MBK2003

Third year on the outpatient side I had nine :eek: supervisors weekly, two psychodynamic, one IPT, one CBT, one psychopharm, one psychotherapy/psychopharm, one TFP, one child/adolescent therapy supervisor, & one psychotherapy intake supervision (group case presentation and treatment planning).

That would have made me suicidal.