Residents - Advice on Derm Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elektrik

Elektrik
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to apply to dermatology for the upcoming year, and I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of programs there are out there. I've browsed this board and the dermboard quite a bit to try and find answers specifically from residents or those who have graduated from programs, but is seems there is little to be found. While many are quick to criticize their programs anonymously (not that you can blame them) for the faults in their programs, from overall lack of teaching and relative overwork of the residents to un-enthused faculty, I really haven't been able to find any feedback on specific programs. The same goes for programs that people seem very satisfied with.

I realized the extremely competitive nature of derm makes it tough to even be able to select one's own place of residency, but it would be nice to have a program to be shooting for in terms of an away rotation or two.

If any residents have any feedback to give either openly, anonymously, or privately for specific programs, it would be greatly appreciated. The factors I am looking for are the faculty's competency and level of enthusiasm for teaching, work hours vs teaching hours, and overall impression of experience along with any other important factors I might be missing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

harvard, ucsf, and nyu offer unparalleled clinical exposure and expertise. would put yale up there if there was 1.5 bolognias there, but there's just one. but wait, do you care? only if you're going to do complex med derm. if you're motoring to private, no need to get this good - in return for being clinically awesome, you work your tail off. and you won't remember all the stuff 2 yrs later.

penn is clinically just about 1st tier too, but not as crazy as above. stanford compensates for clinical so-so with obsession about mock board scores to a bizarre degree, but in general non-toxic.

the med derm guy at columbia makes people more miserable than at any of the above, but without most of the benefits. really talk to the residents when you're there, away from the program.

bigger programs are nice if you remember how many people in med school you'd hate to be trapped with in a 3-person class for 3 years.

the big picture? go somewhere where the residents seem relaxed and non-psycho on interview day. get them alone and grill them no matter where you go.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew which programs tended to favor applicants who had done away rotations or research (e.g., summer research project) at that particular school...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Big picture: get in.

Tiny picture: try to find an atmosphere than suits you.

Do not compromise # 1 for the sake of #2. Perfect really can be the enemy of good, and three or four years of he** (as if derm can really be that much he** when viewed through the rest of medicine's perspective) cannot offset 20 years of a good life (as far as any branch of medicine goes).

Perspective.

Agree with MOHS_1:

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Everything is small stuff except the match. Get into whatever program you can, because any derm residency is better than any other field.

It's the extremely rare applicant that has the luxury of knowing s/he'll match at the best program, hands down. Even those with stellar scores and CVs are not guaranteed.